• Help Support TNDeer:

Duck River

Pilchard

I floated the duck this morning before the weekend traffic. Fishing was slow. I was using live creek chubs and managed one smallmouth and four catfish. Two of the catfish broke off trying to get them in the canoe. I was using an ultralight setup with 6lb test. One of the cats was 4-5lbs which was a decent battle.

I'll post pics of the two I kept when I clean them later. Going to see what this freshwater catfish table-fare is all about. Gasman says they're good— so we'll see.

Attachments

• 929BE9D0-4608-4D62-B76F-C5A556237CB4.jpeg
    929BE9D0-4608-4D62-B76F-C5A556237CB4.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 986
Pilchard":1oqmf7ms said:
I floated the duck this morning before the weekend traffic. Fishing was slow. I was using live creek chubs and managed one smallmouth and four catfish. Two of the catfish broke off trying to get them in the canoe. I was using an ultralight setup with 6lb test. One of the cats was 4-5lbs which was a decent battle.

I'll post pics of the two I kept when I clean them later. Going to see what this freshwater catfish table-fare is all about. Gasman says they're good— so we'll see.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Some cats have more "red meat" than others which makes em taste muddy. Some are very clean tasting. I don't mind a little bit of the muddy taste, but will trim out excessive red meat if it's there. Channels, flatheads and blues are all really good eating. I think you will like em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fished the Buffalo River near linden for a few hours Saturday morning, Managed 3 large and 3 smallies and a couple cats. Caught all on big creek chubs. Reports from others fishing the river seemed a little slow as well. I don't fish with the creek chubs much but when I do you can usually wear them out.

spoonie":3bnrcdlz said:
Fished the Buffalo River near linden for a few hours Saturday morning, Managed 3 large and 3 smallies and a couple cats. Caught all on big creek chubs. Reports from others fishing the river seemed a little slow as well. I don't fish with the creek chubs much but when I do you can usually wear them out.
throw a cast net in the shoals and use stonerollers for bait, best creek bait ever

Well I fried them for my father in-law. We both thought they were quite good.

Cayman- these had very little bloodline/red meat. What there was I trimmed away. I would keep them again.

Question for you guys, there was yellow meat along the top of the fillets. Is this fat? I trimmed it off before I cooked it.

Pilchard":3pb7depf said:
Well I fried them for my father in-law. We both thought they were quite good.

Cayman- these had very little bloodline/red meat. What there was I trimmed away. I would keep them again.

Question for you guys, there was yellow meat along the top of the fillets. Is this fat? I trimmed it off before I cooked it.
it's normal for channel cats to have some yellow on top. Not sure why it's like that but I never trim it. Only the dark red gets trimmed

catman529":3fn5x1h5 said:
spoonie":3fn5x1h5 said:
throw a cast net in the shoals and use stonerollers for bait, best creek bait ever

Hey your not supposed to tell people . Haha very good for catfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel90":26fknyty said:
catman529":26fknyty said:
spoonie":26fknyty said:

Hey your not supposed to tell people . Haha very good for catfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no worries, most people can't throw a cast net. Lol

Latest posts

Back