• Help Support TNDeer:

Favorite Buzz Bait?

TheDuke'sBack

Whats you favorite buzz bait? It seems like everyone I buy be it booyah, strike king, hoppys, etc. they all want to track to the left or right and tip to the side. The only ones I buy that track straight are the strike king Mini's. I really like them, but they are small profile and aren't as loud.

So what Full size buzz bait do you think works the best?

I really like the Booyah ones with the clacker. I've never had an issue with it tracking one way or another. Matter of fact, I can navigate it around patches of grass with no problem by moving the rod tip.

Lunker Lure and Cavitron are both good, really most of the various Strike King and Booyah are pretty decent too.
It's hard to go wrong, just don't get sucked into throwing one for too long, if they are biting it you'll know pretty quick, if not don't hesitate to change.

Also, if it's running crooked:
Hold it by the head, with the prop on top and the line tie pointed at you.
If it's running to the left, bend the prop arm to the left to straighten it out, and vice versa.
They are easy to tune.

MFBAB gives great advice about not throwing it too long if they're not interested in it. That's more important than what brand you use. I'm guilty of doing it even though I shouldn't, I'll throw that thing until my arm is about to fall off without a strike because I so badly want to see a 4 pounder blast it. Buzzbait fishing is good all Summer long at sunrise and sunset but if you throw 15-20 casts without even a swirl, cut it off and try something else.

One tip I'd suggest is taking the skirt off the buzzbait and throwing it in the garbage. Use swimbaits, curly tail grubs, flukes, etc. Get creative. Bass see hundreds of skirted buzzbaits every week, how many do you think they see with a different trailer? Once I started using paddletail swimbaits I started getting more strikes on it.

I currently put paddle tails on all my spinnerbaits, and twin tail grubs, or paddle tails on my buzzbait. I can tell a big different with the spinnerbait, a lot more strikes. With the buzzbait I'm guilty of throwing the same one all day. Ill expand my arsenal a bit more, thanks for the tips guys. Also thanks for the tip about tuning the buzzbait. When you say the buzzbait is swimming left, do you mean from your perspective like swimming to the left of your body, or from the buzzbaits perspective?

Flatlands Custom Tackle.
I buy all my jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, A-rigs, under spins, Shakey Heads from him. His stuff might be a few cents more expensive than big box stores but it's made to order and he'll do custom color combinations. Wire ties all the skirts plus plenty of strands unlike a lot of store bought lures. Keep the hook sharp and you can catch a ton of fish off one of his lures. Good guy to deal with he's down in Byhalia MS.

MidTennFisher":15gpdv97 said:
Buzzbait fishing is good all Summer long at sunrise and sunset but if you throw 15-20 casts without even a swirl, cut it off and try something else.
If you haven't tried much during mid-day (mainly in shaded areas)
you might be very surprised how good buzzbait fishing can be when it's "not supposed" to be. :)

If I buy a in a store I like LUNKER LURES. I bought a dozen off ebay for a buck each and they catch fish too. If they run left or right just bend the arm a little.

I use the cheapest ones I find, for the money academy has some good ones. I like mine to track to the left that way I throw to the right of timber and crash it into it. I've been in the back of the boat and watched someone throw past a rock a dozen times with no luck and when I threw past it once and it ticked the rock one blew up on it. Needless to say I abuse them pretty bad but it pays off

TheDuke'sBack":2a5xjfnw said:
Also thanks for the tip about tuning the buzzbait. When you say the buzzbait is swimming left, do you mean from your perspective like swimming to the left of your body, or from the buzzbaits perspective?

Yes, if you were holding the rod pointed at it, if it's running to your left, then hold it in front of you, just like it is oriented when it's running in the water, and bend the top arm to the left, and vice versa the other way.

It may take a twist or two to get it perfectly straight, but don't hesitate to play around with it-you'll get the hang of adjusting it quickly, it can only go one way or the other, you won't hurt it.
Sometimes it's actually better to make it run a little to one side or the other, you can bump every post on a dock if you tune it to run off to one side, just bend it how you need it to run for what you're fishing.

Of course, if you bend them too much you will eventually get metal fatigue and need to replace it, but most of the popular brands are a reasonably strong grade of stainless steel - Cavitrons will metal fatigue faster than most brands because they are a lighter guage of SS, so be careful bending those too often :)

Don't be afraid to experiment w different blades sizes and styles, retrieve speeds, skirted/unskirted, various trailers, and as stated earlier, don't limit yourself to just early and late.

The more you experiment w them, the more you'll start to understand what conditions to use the different configurations. There can definitely be a buzzbait bite that you might miss if you don't have the right blade, speed or trailer combo - light, water color, wind, all of it makes a difference.
For example: The bigger the blade, the slower you can retrieve it (think Lunker Lure). The smaller the blade, the faster you need to retrieve it (Think Cavitron). There is a time and place where both of those will shine, and it goes that way with all of those variables.

Good Luck!!

It all depends on the day. Sometimes they want the clacker so maybe a Booyah clacker. Sometimes they just want the sqeaky blade so maybe a Molex super squeaky. Then again sometimes when the pressure is really on them they want the "bloop bloop" rolled as slow as possible.

bass pro's brand (I believe its their brand) comes with trailer hooks already attached. I've always done very well with them, they cast well and run true right out of the pack. I use two all season, a blue/white for daytime and a black/red for night time buzzin'

My Wife signed up for the "Lucky tackle box" that you see promoted all over facebook. They have a promotion where you can pay 5 bucks for first month(we then canceled the sub.).

I say its worth it for 5 bucks but not for 15 monthly.

Anyways It had a Buddha Bait Co. buzz bait in it. The interesting thing about it is the head is made out of Tin opposed to lead. It claims to plain out on top of the water faster, will see. Over all it seems to be a really well made buzz bait.

To touch up on the lucky tackle box, It had a livingston deep diver, pack of tubes, pack of lizards, buzz bait, mustad hooks(some type of strange straight shank worm hook), a pack of fish attractant gel, and a 5$ coupon for tackle warehouse(you also receive another 5$ coupon when you sign up). So for 5 bucks It was worth it, for 15 bucks ehhh idk.

A tin headed buzzbait? Seems like it wouldn't cast worth anything considering even my smaller ones have trouble if there is any wind. But I'm also throwing them on a baitcaster with 20lb braid. May do fine on a medium spinning setup but I'd be iffy about it on baitcasting. Would be interested to know if it runs better than the heavier ones though let me know when you've tested it. I have the problem when I fish close to heavy cover that I can't always get mine up top where I want them every time without really cranking down on it. Would be nice to have one that barely sank so I could work it slower across the heavy stuff.

Latest posts

Back