• Help Support TNDeer:

Fawning -

ferg

About a month ago - a Momma and her two buck yearlings started hitting the TR pretty good - and were coming in almost everyday -

About two weeks ago - just the two bucks were coming in, and she was coming in alone - not so much for the TR but clover -

Last week the two buck yearlings are no where to be found - sightings or cameras - but the Doe was still coming in -

She was VERY large the last time I saw her....

Last day or two - nothing -

Now, with all that said - is it a fair assumption that she's 1) run off the two buck yearlings, 2) staked out her fawning area and 3) likely is dropping this week (her being gone now) ??

How long before they bring the fawns 'out' with them to feed??

ferg....

ferg said:
Now, with all that said - is it a fair assumption that she's 1) run off the two buck yearlings, 2) staked out her fawning area and 3) likely is dropping this week (her being gone now) ??

How long before they bring the fawns 'out' with them to feed??

All fair assumptions.

I would suspect 4-6 weeks after birth before her new fawn(s) is traveling with her.

I've got some mowing to do but always try to wait until the risk of harming turkey nests and newborn fawns has moderated. I know it's highly variable but is there a hard date for SW TN that the risk is diminished for hitting a fawn? BSK? Anyone?

fawn.jpg

First one I ever caught on my camera.

Bsk, i found a dead fawn in the road last year and weighed it and it was only 7 pounds......how old do you suppose it was?.....looked almost new born....this pic was taken on 06/30....i figured it was less than 2 wks old?

P06-30-11_1102.jpg

camoman270 said:
Bsk, i found a dead fawn in the road last year and weighed it and it was only 7 pounds......how old do you suppose it was?.....looked almost new born.
I'd say it was fresh out the oven at that weight. I've read that fawns drop at 6-8 lbs.

Jumped a doe right behind the Pin Oak Lodge(Natchez Trace Park) swimming pool yesterday afternoon. I was bank fishing and I thought at the time, what an unusual place for a deer to be. About 30 minutes later, I walked around the bank and heard a commotion in the leaves which I thought was a squirrel. It was the littlest fawn that I have ever encountered, ran straight away from me in the direction that the doe had gone earlier. It was laying in a downed tree top when I walked by. Me thinks that it was born within hours of the time that I jumped it.

Latest posts

Back