• Help Support TNDeer:

Feel like a newb asking this but...

416wbymag

I have roughly 30 acres off airport road in Rockwood. Mostly wooded (maybe 1/2 acre field) Some oaks. Thick stuff nearby. I have soil samples out to UT as I can't seem to get much anything to grow in the field except for the native grasses, I think I need a crap load of lime. Trophy rocks in place for years.

Is there anything (other than corn) that I can do to bring the deer in more often?

A food plot is only as good as its security for daylight use and proximity to safe bedding cover. In my experience those criteria are far more critical than what you can grow in it.

To attract/recruit deer to be more regular on your place, you need to provide something they want but can't get anywhere else nearby. That might be any combination of food, water, and cover. If you have enough security and food then you'll inevitably have deer. To what extent is relative to how many the property can support. Each deer eats about 10lbs/day so it doesn't take long for only a handful of deer to really deplete an area quickly. That's why they're so nomadic, especially in forest areas.

Latest posts

Back