• Help Support TNDeer:

First day of rifle season and you encounter a 170”+ deer.

What do you do???

• Total voters
No sir not a trick question. I guess the question is "do you shoot it if it technically isn't hunting?" Is there a line there for you? Of course it would be an awesome trophy but if you really didn't do anything to earn that trophy should that play into your decision to kill it?
In this day and age the definition of Hunting can be much different to different people. Some people use camera's and phones and track every Bucks every move .Hunt 100s of acres and know every buck. They know where and when a buck is likely to frequent area. You can monitor food plots real time and know when a deer walks into a field . To them that's hunting, and that's OK
Some Hunt over Food Plots or Piles of corn.
I hunt a little over 15 acres of thick woods. I know the Bedding areas,escape routes, creek crossing and funnels. I don't run camera's. I enjoy the anticipation of not knowing what's coming easing or running through the woods next. Every deer puts me on the edge of my seat till I decide if it's a shooter. I know many of the deer I see have come from other properties and were pushed by other hunters,dogs,or chasing does.
Where I park deer frequently cross the road very close to my only parking place.I've watched deer cross the road while getting into or out of my hunting clothes.There's White Oaks within site of Parking place.. I am in Hunting mode before I pull in the driveway. I turn off the truck and coast into the driveway.
To each his own , we shouldn't judge others by our own standards . If it's legal and ethical and I feel the urge I just might pull the trigger . I've practiced a few times and it's not necessarily easy.

As someone above already said... hunting means different things to different people.
I told this story the other day, but I think it's appropriate here.
Couple years ago, I had two nice bucks on camera. One really got my interest. I hunted him for most of the season...never got an opportunity.
Came home from town one day with wife and kids. As we were unloading car I noticed the buck up on a hill behind neighbor's house. He was locked down on a doe.
Finished unloading car and called the neighbor to ask for permission to shoot from their yard. Permission granted. Grabbed my rifle and some orange and headed across neighbor's yard. I could have shot from our yard but I would have had to shoot over their house. Wasn't doing that. Got where I wanted, used a small tree to steady myself, and ...killed the buck.
At first I was excited...got the buck I had been after. But after things calmed down...I don't feel so well about it. His Euro is hanging over my head as I type this. Everytime I look at it I think....that wasn't hunting, at least not by my definition. I don't feel good about what I did...and won't do it again.
Just an FYI...it was a legal kill...just not "hunting".
This is exactly how I would feel about it^^^ Just no sport, no good memory or story to it, no satisfaction of beating that buck on his terms in his element. Yea it's big antlers and good meat on the table, but that is not why I go after big bucks. I do it because they are the most weary and smartest animal in the woods.

Ya the memory's of setting for hours fighting skeeters and watching squirrels hoping to see something to shoot, most of the time when 1 comes by it's less than 1 minute to decide shoot no shoot. then the work starts, some of my most memorable hunts were I was walking in and there it stood or I just sat down and there he was, length of the hunt the long walk the long drag doesn't trip my trigger as much these days, age has a way of making a man find the quickest most efficient method to get stuff done. I spent a lot of days hunting that I never seen a deer, reckon the west end has never had those type of deer numbers but I wouldn't trade the memory's of the wasted time for any other. Nobody has the same desires as everyone else and nobody should have to have the same goals, safety is #1 and keep it legal is about the best we can hope for everybody. Skeeters tore me up dove hunting and hope to stop itching by muzzle loader opener lmao.

I'm a well experienced bull$hitter but I'm drowning in it with some of these responses 😂

Probably in the realm of near zero percent of responders in this thread will EVER see a legit, wild, and legal 170" buck in their lifetime, let alone have an opportunity like the OP presented. It's easy to say you wouldn't if you're never going to have the chance. I'd rather hear from the guy who experienced it and actually passed.

It is a situation where you are perfectly legal to take the shot (end of your porch, gate of your lease, etc. However, it's a deer you haven't scouted and you didn't even know existed and the situation in which you harvest this animal isn't actually hunting.
I have no clue what the part of the question of the deer being one you haven't scouted or didn't know existed has to do with anything.

But I will say no. Many years ago, on private land I had permission to hunt, I pulled into the drive, landowner owned land on both sides of the road. I parked looked across the road and a 150" plus buck was chasing a doe. Might have been over 160. He was a good one. I grabbed my 30/30 and eased across the road, stood in a fencerow that was lined with trees. Watched them. The doe made one circle and came within 30 yards. I yelled at the buck and he stopped and looked at me. I couldn't shoot him, I didn't and don't regret it. I hunted that part I had permission to hunt hard, never saw that buck again.

Another time, my brother and myself were coming home on thanksgiving. Many on here probably know the field. Close to Fall Creek on Priest with a circle of woods, field is right by 840, northeast of where 840 crosses Fall Creek. A big 10 pointer was chasing a doe. It was about 3 pm. When we got home, I am hurrying and my brother asked me what I was doing. I told him I was going to go kill that buck. He said he won't be there. I said you never know. He didn't carry a gun, I grabbed my percussion muzzleloader and we took off. We parked where people park all the time. I snuck down the fencerow and the doe made a circle that brought him right by me, maybe 20 yards. I yelled at him, he stopped and looked. When I got back to the truck, my brother said "why didn't you kill him?" I told him it was not hunting and would not have meant much to me. I later was told that if I had killed that deer (I walked about 250 yards before I found a spot to hide) but that would have been considered road hunting and a ticket if caught. I don't see that as road hunting, but also didn't think it was hunting which I why I didn't shoot.

The worst one, same field as with road separating land I could hunt, a giant, probably over 170" was chasing a doe. A giant. He had been seen by several others hunting farms around us. By this time the landowner had sold some land and a giant house had been built. A ridge ran right down the middle. As you looked from the road I could hunt the left side of the ridge and could not hunt the right side, the right side had sold. There was a block of woods on the land that sold and you could look through them at the giant house. I was told I could still hunt the one side but not to get on the side that sold. This buck was a giant. I was banging on the landowners windows, doors everything trying to see if he was home, before cell phones. I got no answer so I went ahead and eased around the side I had permission to hunt. Finally walked up to the ridge, right on the property line, and was looking through the block of woods at the giant house, where I was not allowed to go. A doe and the buck came out of the block of woods, about 50 yards, I had my 7mm stw. It was downhill to an opening behind the giant house, and I knew my luck, not only would the sound of the shot rattle the house, he would not drop, he would run down to the opening to die and I might lose that spot to hunt and it had a lot of land. He stopped and looked at me. I will never forget it, he was a great buck, I put the crosshairs on his shoulder, peeked up from the scope and could see the house through the block of woods which was well to the right of where the buck was and decided not to shoot. I yelled bang at him and they took off. Finally caught up with the landowner that night. The couple that lived in the house had separated and had not been in the house in several weeks and the husband had told the landowner (it was his wife that did not want anyone hunting) my brother and me could hunt his land also, we just had not seen the landowner for him to tell us. Never saw that buck again.

IMG_5070.gif

I'm a well experienced bull$hitter but I'm drowning in it with some of these responses 😂

Probably in the realm of near zero percent of responders in this thread will EVER see a legit, wild, and legal 170" buck in their lifetime, let alone have an opportunity like the OP presented. It's easy to say you wouldn't if you're never going to have the chance. I'd rather hear from the guy who experienced it and actually passed.
Since I'm one of the 4 who said "Let it walk", I'm assuming some of this is directed at me. I do believe you are mostly correct; most people will never see a wild 170" deer in their lifetime.

My decision strictly comes from past opportunities. I didn't get married until my late 30's; no kids. I had a good paying job with lots of time off. I spend 12-15 years doing nothing but chasing big deer. I've even killed a few. I no longer post pictures of the bucks I kill. I'll post pics of does, squirrels, and adventure hunts; but not the bucks I kill. They're not on Facebook, Instagram, or any social media. I'm about the most half-a$$ person at running trail cams, so I never hunt specific bucks. I guess I've reached a stage in my hunting where what I kill matters less than how I kill it and I only want to kill mature bucks. I want it to be fair chase and on the deer's terms. Shooting one from the porch or just off the right-away has no appeal.

If people want to believe that's bull 💩, I'm fine with that also. I don't hunt to appease them.

Since I'm one of the 4 who said "Let it walk", I'm assuming some of this is directed at me. I do believe you are mostly correct; most people will never see a wild 170" deer in their lifetime.

My decision strictly comes from past opportunities. I didn't get married until my late 30's; no kids. I had a good paying job with lots of time off. I spend 12-15 years doing nothing but chasing big deer. I've even killed a few. I no longer post pictures of the bucks I kill. I'll post pics of does, squirrels, and adventure hunts; but not the bucks I kill. They're not on Facebook, Instagram, or any social media. I'm about the most half-a$$ person at running trail cams, so I never hunt specific bucks. I guess I've reached a stage in my hunting where what I kill matters less than how I kill it and I only want to kill mature bucks. I want it to be fair chase and on the deer's terms. Shooting one from the porch or just off the right-away has no appeal.

If people want to believe that's bull 💩, I'm fine with that also. I don't hunt to appease them.

I wasn't responding to any particular post as much as I was just stirring the pot. Like Mike Tyson says, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." Point being it's a completely imaginary, hypothetical situation. We say what we think we'd do but unless we're confronted with that reality we don't really know.

I'd like to think I would kill the deer in a heartbeat but this past season I let a buck pass within a yard of my tree because he had a partially broken beam and I wanted him whole. I knew he'd been broken beforehand and went in to hunt him anyway, but when the moment came I never even lifted the bow. Surprised myself really. I saw him from a distance and grunted him in, watching as he snort wheezed and thrashed trees making a show all along the way to me. That was enough for me. I'd already won. I tricked him. I won the game. No longer had any interest in killing him. If same thing happened today I might shoot him. Hard to say.

However, had he been a complete unknown deer that was standing behind my cabin when I stepped out to put my boots on, I most likely would have shot it on the spot. I enjoy working the habitat, watching bucks grow up through the years. I often hunt the bucks I know well with history because I don't hunt them until they're old. But I also get a random giant roamer stranger buck once or twice every season that I've never seen before and never see again. I'd love to pop one of those buggers and if it were to be off the back porch then that's how it would happen. I think so anyway, at least unless or until it actually happens then I'll find out for sure what I'd do. Until then it's just BS.

Before and after the break:
1726267398339.webp
1726267601591.webp

Have a friend that only bowhunts. He kills everything with a bow... does, spikes, old bucks. He would rather shoot a spike with his bow than a 170 with a rifle. He doesn't look down on me for rifle hunting, but that is just too easy to kill a deer to him and doesn't satisfy his hunter instinct.

And its just fine thats the way he hunts, and its just fine to him the way i hunt.

It is a situation where you are perfectly legal to take the shot (end of your porch, gate of your lease, etc. However, it's a deer you haven't scouted and you didn't even know existed and the situation in which you harvest this animal isn't actually hunting.
Go back in time before cameras, etc. a man walks into the woods and sees a buck, any buck and bang, he's shooting.

He sees a 170 and he's definitely shooting, as am I. I've never seen a buck that size, if I do I'm trying my best to kill it.

I saw him from a distance and grunted him in, watching as he snort wheezed and thrashed trees making a show all along the way to me. That was enough for me. I'd already won. I tricked him. I won the game.
^^^^^and this is why I love bow hunting. Last year we had a late night playing travel softball and I told my family that we were not going to church the next morning. I got up and went hunting in an area that was primed to have some nice deer traveling during the rut. Got myself in perfect position and sure enough a nice 8 point comes sondering through. Made the determination that he was 2.5 so I left my bow in my lap and took out my phone and recorded him as he walked right up under me at 5 yds. After he walked away I climbed down, went home, and took my family to church. I beat him. No I didn't stick him with an arrow but I accomplished the task that I had set out for months earlier with planning, scouting, and preparation. That's "the hunt" for me.

Latest posts

Back