• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing guide disappointment

blueball":2vno3hzu said:
landman":2vno3hzu said:
rsimms":2vno3hzu said:
I've posted here before (when asked), I don't believe a guide's tip should necessarily be based upon the number of fish caught... but on the individual's level of effort, attitude and demeanor. I hope his tip was "zero."

And I don't typically guide for bass (although we catch 'em)... nor do I offer "guarantees," but had this been one of my catfish trips you would have been offered a "slow day discount." ;)

I've fished with this guy ^^^^^before
Just cause it was 100degrees and we where
Rednecks from Middle TN. He was thinking
he would burn us hot before noon, filled
Cooler before 11 am. My 79 year old father
would have kept him out until midnight, but
I called it about 4pm. Burn the guide out...

If everyone called a GUIDE was like Richard the
World would be a Much Better Place!!!!

Book with No Fear

Mike did you fish with Steve McAdams?
People always seem happy with him,
for crappie anyway
Steve McAdams and Andy hicks if your looking for crappie in the paris landing area and you want go wrong[emoji2]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Steve McAdams. Haven't thought of that name in forever. I remember reading his stuff in the PI when I was young. Back before these here interwebs!

agelesssone":3v0utfj8 said:
I'm a guide in Nashville and I hate taking people out for a "boat ride".
If the weather is not going to be conducive to fishing, I'll call the clients the night before and tell them and offer to cancel and refund their deposit.
Like when a cold front comes through. Maybe we caught a double limit the day before but the front moved through and we would be looking at cool clear skies, no breeze the next day.
I would rather not go out and catch 7-8 crappie and I'll give the customer an out.
I am as honest as I can be with my clients....about everything.
We have one guide in my area that, if you live within 200 miles, he won't take you out.
What's up with that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I can see your point about the guy who won't take clients who live what he considers close, but I can see his point to. I would be very hesitant to guide "locals". What happens when you guide 100 local people or 50 local people or the WRONG 1 local person and they are fishing the spots you use for guiding and they fish every single day. Public water, nothing the guide can do about it, I can promise you I am careful about who I carry depending on what I am fishing for. I have had issues with a few people and it wasn't pleasant, people who I thought would be decent about things, maybe fish it a couple times a week or every couple weeks, etc. only to go what was my best spot or spots and someone be sitting there fishing them EVERY SINGLE time I go and look at you like you are the a$$, when they had never even thought about fishing how you showed them. I believe I could guide and might even make a little money, probably not a lot, but I prefer to fish for enjoyment and not work.

Also, to me, not 100 percent of the time, but for the most part, if you are a guide and a good one, you do not fish when you are "guiding". None at all. I would not go out with a guide who fishes while he or she is "supposed to be guiding me".

I can see your point about the guy who won't take clients who live what he considers close, but I can see his point to. I would be very hesitant to guide "locals". What happens when you guide 100 local people or 50 local people or the WRONG 1 local person and they are fishing the spots you use for guiding and they fish every single day. Public water, nothing the guide can do about it, I can promise you I am careful about who I carry depending on what I am fishing for. I have had issues with a few people and it wasn't pleasant, people who I thought would be decent about things, maybe fish it a couple times a week or every couple weeks, etc. only to go what was my best spot or spots and someone be sitting there fishing them EVERY SINGLE time I go and look at you like you are the a$$, when they had never even thought about fishing how you showed them. I believe I could guide and might even make a little money, probably not a lot, but I prefer to fish for enjoyment and not work.

Also, to me, not 100 percent of the time, but for the most part, if you are a guide and a good one, you do not fish when you are "guiding". None at all. I would not go out with a guide who fishes while he or she is "supposed to be guiding me".

I'm not saying others with different policies are wrong... but here is where I stand on this issue.

When I take people out... local or otherwise... I INVITE them to take what they've learned from me and fish away... in the exact same spots if they wish. I've been guiding for ten years now, and I have yet to regret that. Look at most of the photos I post and anyone familiar with local waters will know EXACTLY where I am.

I have two reasons for that.... (1) Part of the reason I wanted to guide was to introduce and encourage others to enjoy and (wisely) use the resource. Not only when they are paying me, but all the time. More wise users of the resource... people who care about clean water and good fishing... will benefit us all in the long run.

(2) I do, admittedly, have one caveat to my policy. I tell people that if they do come back and fish the areas I've shown them, please provide me with a fishing report. This has helped me greatly by providing me with many more "eyes on the water." Clients (or former clients) routinely share information with me, which in turn, helps me provide better service for the next clients.

On more than one occasion I have shown up in an area and seen previous clients fishing. Doesn't bother me in the least because there is enough room (and enough catfish) for all. In some cases, they'll actually leave (with a smile & and wave) if I arrive with clients.

Finally, when it comes to successful fishing, the devil is in the details. I know of more than one occasion when others, who know exactly where I fish... and in general, how I fish... have tried to duplicate my techniques and met with dismal failure. Yes, even with lowly catfish the fine details of a proper presentation can make a huge difference.

So bottomline, feel free to fish the areas I show you. Or just call me and I'll tell you where I'm fishing. If you can duplicate the details and catch he!! out of fish, "Awesome!" All I ask is that you give me a report that might help me the next time I head out. :tu:

rsimms":3vxl3lls said:

I'm not saying others with different policies are wrong... but here is where I stand on this issue.

When I take people out... local or otherwise... I INVITE them to take what they've learned from me and fish away... in the exact same spots if they wish. I've been guiding for ten years now, and I have yet to regret that. Look at most of the photos I post and anyone familiar with local waters will know EXACTLY where I am.

I have two reasons for that.... (1) Part of the reason I wanted to guide was to introduce and encourage others to enjoy and (wisely) use the resource. Not only when they are paying me, but all the time. More wise users of the resource... people who care about clean water and good fishing... will benefit us all in the long run.

(2) I do, admittedly, have one caveat to my policy. I tell people that if they do come back and fish the areas I've shown them, please provide me with a fishing report. This has helped me greatly by providing me with many more "eyes on the water." Clients (or former clients) routinely share information with me, which in turn, helps me provide better service for the next clients.

On more than one occasion I have shown up in an area and seen previous clients fishing. Doesn't bother me in the least because there is enough room (and enough catfish) for all. In some cases, they'll actually leave (with a smile & and wave) if I arrive with clients.

Finally, when it comes to successful fishing, the devil is in the details. I know of more than one occasion when others, who know exactly where I fish... and in general, how I fish... have tried to duplicate my techniques and met with dismal failure. Yes, even with lowly catfish the fine details of a proper presentation can make a huge difference.

So bottomline, feel free to fish the areas I show you. Or just call me and I'll tell you where I'm fishing. If you can duplicate the details and catch he!! out of fish, "Awesome!" All I ask is that you give me a report that might help me the next time I head out. :tu:

Richard is a class act not only in words but also in actions.

I have two experiences with guides. 1st) We went on a trip to Guntersville. As SOON as I stepped out of my truck the guy started giving me He!! about wearing a UT hat. I don't mean a little grief, I mean cursing and really showing his arse. There were about 6 of us so I just chose to go with one of the other guides. We caught a lot of fish but he stayed on this cell phone the whole time we were out there, and was ONLY there to catch numbers. I asked him multiple time to throw a frog or bigger baits but he insisted we throw shakey heads the whole time.
Trip 2) I connected with RSIMMS about bass fishing on the Chick. He put me in contact with Ben Hayes. Talk about a class act. I would recommend Ben to ANYONE. We didn't catch a ton of fish but we tried and he was great. When we left, I felt like my wife and I had made a friend. I will be going on another trip with Ben when the timing is right. The way I saw it. I could pay a little less and tote my gear down there. Or I could pay a little more, not have any wear or tear on my gear, learn some about a lake i have never been to, and catch some fish. I think a lot of it has to do with your attitude going in.

rsimms":4y19cnin said:

I agree and disagree. Bass and (even more so to me) hybrid and striper guys, and in some cases crappie guys will not honor or respect anything. More power to you if you take people fishing for those fish and show them your best spots and techniques. I have shown many people some of what I consider my most prized fishing secrets and been burned only a few times but those few times were enough to make me what I would call BEYOND cautious about who I carry fishing depending on what I am fishing for, time of the year and how I am fishing. The first time you take someone that you think and even feel you know they will not be absolute a$$e$ after they learn how to catch bass they never have been able to, on for what I consider deep fishing, and then for the rest of that summer or several summers (and in one case I have never fished what was one of my best places ever since, a place I fished for many years and never had an issue and at that right time literally had caught a few thousand bass off of over the years) or you see their buddies holed up on your spot, and not just on weekends or a day here and there but EVERY SINGLE time you go and you have never seen them fish that way before. You may be ok with it but I for sure will not guide, and if I did I would avoid locals to some extent, hate it for you if you feel that is wrong, but it is a fact if you show the wrong person, you may be giving up fishing whatever you show them. The same can be said for stripers and hybrids.

I use and love gps and maps on depthfinders but I would have no problem if we went back to paper maps and a flasher. I caught fish for years by triangulating my spots and using a depthfinder. There is a reason, and it is not good, why some people's most important parts of their fishing gear are binoculars and a gps to mark waypoints.

Latest posts

Back