• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing Rod question

moondawg

I have a Berkley Lightning Rod (light spinning rod) that is 5'6, is rated for 4-8 # line, and 1/16 oz--3/8 oz lures. I have 4# fluorocarbon line on it and use a lot of 1/16 oz lures, and some 1/8 oz lures. I use this a lot for trout/panfish/bass fishing, and it has served me well.

I was considering getting a backup rod. A Berkley Cherrywood (medium light spinning rod)...6'6 rod, rated for 4-12 # line, and 1/8 oz--5/8 lures. It's $25 at Bass Pro. Something different, and may help cast farther. And still rigged for trout, but I can switch it up a tad heavier for bass.

My question is this: Can I use my normal Lightning Rod setup on the Cherrywood? The line would be the same (4 #), but the lure is lighter than the rod lists.

i use that same rod for one of my crappie/bluegill/redear rods. i use 4# line and my real is a pfleuger size 30 reel. casts 1/16 and 1/32 jigs well and sometimes i use 1/8 beetle spins also. it has a little faster tip than my bnm 7 footer and its a bit more accurate at long casting.

another cheaper rod that i have found that casts like a dream is the shakespeare micro series. its a fast tip light action rod that also casts really well. its only 17 bucks and if i break it no problem, just buy another.

well i noticed, you use flouro line and i dont. i do use flouro coated mono though so it may make a difference but maybe not. ive found that the trick to casting lighter jigs is to have a larger spool than an ultra lite size. on all my panfish rods i either have a size 30 or even a 35 on some longer rods. i just use 8# backer and tie on the half spool of 4# on the 35 size.

Had the same rod in 7' and broke it. Wish I could find another one!
Buy it you will love it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

RUGER":2wjqea7i said:
Buy it you will love it.

mind if i ask how you broke it? i was hesitant in buying them from some of the reviews but i imagine those folks are just rough on rods. i net even the crappie and bluegill and havent had a problem with them.

i bought mine at walmart when they were on sale for 22 bucks.

I hit it on the edge of the boat and put a small "dent" in it and it broke on a hook set. Didn't know about the dent untill I looked at it real close after it broke.

RUGER":30yf03xj said:
Buy it you will love it.

So you had the Cherrywood series?
I figure it can't hurt, being only $25.

WTM":1zubdwlk said:
i use that same rod for one of my crappie/bluegill/redear rods. i use 4# line and my real is a pfleuger size 30 reel. casts 1/16 and 1/32 jigs well and sometimes i use 1/8 beetle spins also. it has a little faster tip than my bnm 7 footer and its a bit more accurate at long casting.

another cheaper rod that i have found that casts like a dream is the shakespeare micro series. its a fast tip light action rod that also casts really well. its only 17 bucks and if i break it no problem, just buy another.

well i noticed, you use flouro line and i dont. i do use flouro coated mono though so it may make a difference but maybe not. ive found that the trick to casting lighter jigs is to have a larger spool than an ultra lite size. on all my panfish rods i either have a size 30 or even a 35 on some longer rods. i just use 8# backer and tie on the half spool of 4# on the 35 size.

So you're saying you use the 6'6 Cherrywood?
i think I'm gonna get it. Can't beat the price. Worse case scenario, i'll just cast 1/8 oz lures...they'll go a long way!

yes and i also have the 5'6 light and the 7' medium action that i have 6# line on that i use to sling float rigs and doubles as a sauger setup. all but the 5'6 i have 30 series reels. on the 5'6 one i have a 20 series UL reel that i use for vertical jigging.

mine are the cherrywood hd series with cork handles.

WTM":21x54wzw said:
yes and i also have the 5'6 light and the 7' medium action that i have 6# line on that i use to sling float rigs and doubles as a sauger setup. all but the 5'6 i have 30 series reels. on the 5'6 one i have a 20 series UL reel that i use for vertical jigging.

mine are the cherrywood hd series with cork handles.

I have a 5'6 Lightning Rod. I bought one at a yard sale for $1. Yes...ONE DOLLAR. I used it until I accidentally broke it when I unknowingly set something on top of it. I had a backup, but just didn't like it. So i bought another one at full price from Bass Pro while on a fishing

I thought about just getting the 5'6 Cherrywood for a backup, but I want a longer rod to cast farther. Might just buck up and get both!

WTM":jn6ywd2o said:

That is what I replaced my cherrywood with.
I like it just as well.

i just bought a 7 foot BNM sam heaton super sensitive at walmart in dickson for something like 32.95 the other night. i could not believe it an almost 60 dollar rod for a little more than 30 bucks.

gonna use it for dock shooting crappies and drop shotting bluegill and shellcracker. i havent had it on the water but was practicing in the yard and with an 1/8 jig it will fling the crap out of it. its listed as a medium light power and the tip is more slow action with plenty of flex. BNM also sells the replacement sections for 21 bucks if it breaks.

Back