• Help Support TNDeer:

Flathead from jug to fryer

catman529

Caught this cat on a jug on Normandy and 2 smaller channel cats. Fried with cheddar-stuffed jalapeno bacon hushpuppies. Some of the fish even got the hot glaze. And the cantaloupe from the garden to top it off and washed down with a dogfish head IPA.

Heck I'm still frying that flathead, it's a lot of meat, 4 pounds of meat off a 9 lb fish.

c52a0fb115680c783f0c69048a4173d5.jpg

3f7ffa34c55c7325c9d064e206954615.jpg

82ea2406e2f4d02fa798ac7a602150d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Tennessean":3eyf6y7l said:
Looks good Catman!
Store bought puppies or homemade? Never thought of cheese stuffed puppies.
House Autry hush puppy mix with an egg, water, sautéed jalapeno and Vidalia onion and chopped bacon.

Your gonna make some chick a fine wife someday with all those cooking skills!! Lol
Looks great.

Looks awesome dude.

Only flathead I ever ate the meat was brown and it tasted like straight up dirt.
Must have been a fluke because I hear all the time how great they are.

RUGER":22la7o7j said:
Looks awesome dude.

Only flathead I ever ate the meat was brown and it tasted like straight up dirt.
Must have been a fluke because I hear all the time how great they are.
yea you got a bad one. Crazy amount of belly meat and even cheek meat on the side and top of the head.

How deep were your jugs set? You mentioned in another post you had caught channels on nightcrawlers; were they on jugs too or were you fishing for walleye and caught the channels? I fish Normandy in the spring for cats along the deep banks with bait under a slip float and do pretty well, but I haven't fished since early June. Think it would be worth trying the banks again at a deeper depth? Any advice welcome. Thanks.

gustaf":2w62idxh said:
How deep were your jugs set? You mentioned in another post you had caught channels on nightcrawlers; were they on jugs too or were you fishing for walleye and caught the channels? I fish Normandy in the spring for cats along the deep banks with bait under a slip float and do pretty well, but I haven't fished since early June. Think it would be worth trying the banks again at a deeper depth? Any advice welcome. Thanks.
I'm not sure but think the jug was 8 to 10 feet of line. I have caught several cats under a bobber with about 3 to 4 feet of line. Also caught one on a minnow near the bottom.

Back