Flyrodders?

waterman

When I was a kid ,my dad would take me flyfishing when the willow flies hatched. Dug out the old rods and gonna give it a try this year. Old JC Higgins rod. Can anyone tell me what the weight is on this rod by these numbers ? Also found an old Fenwick blank that he put together. Been 40 years or so since we went. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20240618_164238068_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240618_164238068_HDR.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20240618_122435482_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240618_122435482_HDR.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 39

scn

If you are wanting the info to purchase a new fly line(s) for the rods, please be aware that things have changed over the years. Those rods very likely have a slow to moderate action. They were designed to be cast with what we now call a "true" line weight. The one you pictured looks like it was set up for a 7-8wt fly line.

As rods have changed over the years and gotten faster in action, line manufacturers have changed lines to better fit those faster (stiffer?) actions. Thus, the best selling fly line in the world, the Rio Gold, is now about a half line size heavier than the true line weight of yesteryear per line weight.

I would probably not put a modern heavy weight forward line (ie Rio Grand) on the rod. I suspect a 7wt Rio Gold will match up with it well. In the lesser expensive lines, the SA Frequency Boost and the Rio Mainstream trout are closer to "true" line weights. Either one of those in a 8wt WFF likely will work well.

Last edited:

wildside

If I'm deciphering it correctly, it's calling for 7wt line if you're using double taper or 8wt line if you're using weight forward. Rods don't read like that anymore so I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️
correct! I fish a bunch with old glass rods. I would always use the smaller size line or even downsize one