• Help Support TNDeer:

Found a Wild Crabapple

Ski

And filled my pocket with them. Got 150ish seeds and going to stratify them in the fridge. Hoping I get a decent yield of starters. Would love to have these on the property.

1729291557704.webp

1729291582961.webp

Those look like Thorn apples or maybe hawthorns. At least that's what we called them when I was a kid. The wild crab apples I remember were a little smaller than a golf ball, green and waxy.

You're probably right. Some type of hawthorn is probably what they are but the leaves don't look like the hawthorns I know from up north. These look like apple leaves. Fruit tastes like apples, too, but they do look exactly like hawthorns. I put a camera on the tree to see if deer are eating the fruit. Something's eating it as there weren't many on the ground. Curious if it's deer or other critters.

And filled my pocket with them. Got 150ish seeds and going to stratify them in the fridge. Hoping I get a decent yield of starters. Would love to have these on the property.

View attachment 247681
View attachment 247682
Good luck. Maybe post your progress if you can.

I need to try this with the crabapple that's in my yard, but will have to wait until next year as the fruit is gone. I have persimmon, honey crisp, and ambrosia apple seeds in the fridge now.

Good luck. Maybe post your progress if you can.

I need to try this with the crabapple that's in my yard, but will have to wait until next year as the fruit is gone. I have persimmon, honey crisp, and ambrosia apple seeds in the fridge now.

I will. I've done a lot of apples this way and had pretty fair success, but never had any luck with persimmons yet. I've even tried the peroxide wash but so far no bueno. Got a few dozen seeds in fridge now so we'll see if it pans out this time. Also trying keiffer pears right now. Never did a pear like this and have no idea what to expect, but I'm trying it. Doesn't cost anything but a ziploc bag & paper towel to find out.

Deer, fox, coyotes, and other small animals all have gotten into the crabapples from the tree in my yard. Funny thing about that one is that it was supposed to be a Granny Smith, bought it from Lowe's probably 25 years ago.

Could have been mislabeled or could have been a graft that didn't survive but the crab host did. Most apples, especially dwarf varieties are grafted onto crabapple stems.

View attachment 247681
View attachment 247682
Hey Ski. I have Mossy Oak's Nativ Nurseries Wild Crab apple trees. I am planning on trying to grow some from seed. On the internet some sites say cold stratification needed. Other sites say stratification not needed. Are you stratifying or what? How are you starting them?
IMG_0229.webp
IMG_0231.webp
IMG_0244.webp

Hey Ski. I have Mossy Oak's Nativ Nurseries Wild Crab apple trees. I am planning on trying to grow some from seed. On the internet some sites say cold stratification needed. Other sites say stratification not needed. Are you stratifying or what? How are you starting them?

I've only done the damp paper towel in zip lock bag method. They sit in the fridge over winter and by around Valentines day they have little root sprouts.

From there i use the veggie seed starter trays from the hardware store, set them in a south facing window, and within a few days they have stems with green leaves. When they get a couple inches tall I put each entire starter in its own cardboard pint size cup with potting soil. The cups all go in a clear tote and stay in front of the window until it's warm enough to bring them outside during the day.

In May when no longer danger of frost, I plant the entire cup and all where the tree will be forever. The cup biodegrades and helps feed the roots.

I've heard you can simply plant the seeds and they'll sprout in spring but I've not tried it. I've also not tried planting them in pots without stratification. Guess I could try and see how it goes.

I've only done the damp paper towel in zip lock bag method. They sit in the fridge over winter and by around Valentines day they have little root sprouts.

From there i use the veggie seed starter trays from the hardware store, set them in a south facing window, and within a few days they have stems with green leaves. When they get a couple inches tall I put each entire starter in its own cardboard pint size cup with potting soil. The cups all go in a clear tote and stay in front of the window until it's warm enough to bring them outside during the day.

In May when no longer danger of frost, I plant the entire cup and all where the tree will be forever. The cup biodegrades and helps feed the roots.

I've heard you can simply plant the seeds and they'll sprout in spring but I've not tried it. I've also not tried planting them in pots without stratification. Guess I could try and see how it goes.
Ok thanks. I'll do the same way except, I'll put the sprouts into the same pots as my Dunstans. Then grow them on my porch and plant in the fall if it all works out.

I'd love to have a bunch of them and various other fruit trees to drop all summer and fall. Work in progress!
If I find any this season I'll pick some up for you. I've got a bunch but most are being choked out and need to be released. I've got plenty that produce so hopefully there's some left.

Back