• Help Support TNDeer:

Found a Wild Crabapple

I've come across an old apple tree, and a couple of abandoned old orchards while hiking in the Appalachians. I was surprised to see the large number of apples on the ground. I would have thought the bears, deer, and other animals would have kept them cleaned up. It was always a welcome surprise after eating backpack food for several days.

Turns out deer seem to love them, whatever exactly they are. The tree on the left is it. It's growing on edge between cattle pasture and mature timber and has a couple canopy branches that hang way out westward where the deer on the right are. They're all eating the fallen fruit. Got a bunch of pics day & night. Might have to snag another pocket full of fruits and start some more seedlings! Hard to beat a fruit tree that's dropping last week of October into the rut!

1729541041771.webp

Turns out deer seem to love them, whatever exactly they are. The tree on the left is it. It's growing on edge between cattle pasture and mature timber and has a couple canopy branches that hang way out westward where the deer on the right are. They're all eating the fallen fruit. Got a bunch of pics day & night. Might have to snag another pocket full of fruits and start some more seedlings! Hard to beat a fruit tree that's dropping last week of October into the rut!

View attachment 248187
Looks like I need to start a land management plan for my place…nice find!

Looks like I need to start a land management plan for my place…nice find!

It's funner than hunting. But my "plan" has been adjusted so much it's barely even recognizable. With each task and each season i learn something that steers me in directions I hadn't yet considered.

I will say this though. Habitat work has taught me more about deer and hunting them than a lifetime of deer hunting has.

Latest posts

Back