• Help Support TNDeer:

Glass Boat Questions

But not all Rangers are created equal. My buddy had a 518 Comanche that wasn't good in rough water. Obviously that wasn't a 21 foot boat though.
Yep, I had a buddy that had a 519 and by far the roughest fiberglass boat that I've ever ridden in. He got a 521 next and was an okay ride. He's since went to a Phoenix. I fished in several Rangers in BFLs as a co-angler several years ago and just wasn't impressed.

I have another buddy with around a 2010 TR-196 with a 200 that is a great ride.

Don't count out Skeeter either.
In a triton I would want something newer,probably like the x series.I have the crappie version of the tr196,the ta196.The triton tr boats fish good,but too light for rough water in my opinion.The tr series is fast,they will fly.

I've been in and owned lots of bass boats and without a doubt a 21 xrd bullet is the best riding boat in rough water with skeeter coming in a close second. It's a world of difference in a 20ft bullet and a 21. They fish really well also. Skeeter did fish a little better in the wind but it was a heavy rig.

Love my triton, it's a 2018 21trx elite. Handles rough water really well, fishes great has a huge front deck. It'll run too. I put a new 250 4 stroke on it and I'm running 74-75mph with 2 people tournament loaded.

Phoenix, skeeter and a couple of bullet hulls would be great options as well. I live in bullet country and have been in some that ride and fish great but have also been in some that will beat you to death.

I personally would steer clear of a ranger or nitro.

Last edited:
Love my triton, it's a 2018 21trx elite. Handles rough water really well, fishes great has a huge front deck. It'll run too. I put a new 250 4 stroke on it and I'm running 74-75mph with 2 people tournament loaded.

Phoenix, skeeter and a couple of bullet hulls would be great options as well. I live in bullet country and have been in some that ride and fish great but have also been in some that will beat you to death.

I personally would steer clear of a ranger or nitro.
That's s good triton hull also,bet that 21trx elite fishes great.

I forgot to mention Skeeter but they are on my list.
Skeeter have wave slap when fishing,as a crappie boat skeeter wouldn't be at the top of my list.Bass guys fish 70/80ft out with there forward facing sonars.Crappie guys fish 20/30ft out with forward facing sonars.Wave slap is just as important as a good riding boat in my opinion.

I fished with Dylan F. the guide from Wishing I was Fishing down on Chickamauga a few years ago. He fished out of a Champion but I don't know the year of it. It was a 20 or 21 foot model. We went in October where the morning was calm but those winds get up in the afternoon. It was white capping some but not terrible...and I thought that boat was going to jar out every tooth in my head. Phoenix is the smoothest riding one I've been in. Have not been in one of the Ikon boats yet.

3) What manufacturers should be avoided?
Triton, Nitro, and Ranger after being acquired by White River Marine Group (Johnny Morris). It's commonly said that the quality of these lines declined after they sold out.

That said, mid 2000s Earl Bentz Tritons have a big following. I have a 2004 20x that's both fast and smooth.

Another thing about new boats…..they're EXPENSIVE! I'd love a new Phoenix or Bass Cat, but can't justify the $$$$$$$$$.

I can't help ya with glass but maybe look at deeper v aluminum like a Lund. I say that cause just last night I was cruising about 35mph - 40mph in my xpress and hit something so hard that it sent the boat sideways. I can guarantee with a glass boat. I'd be looking at some expensive repairs on the hull. It put one heck of a hook in the bottom of my xpress and gave my stainless steel prop a beating on one blade.
There is a reason that's the best selling boat on those lakes where the wind blows ALL THE TIME. I'd go with a LUND.

ACTUALLY, it's the reason I switched over to a center console from a flats boat to fish here on the coast. Good luck with your search

I fished with Dylan F. the guide from Wishing I was Fishing down on Chickamauga a few years ago. He fished out of a Champion but I don't know the year of it. It was a 20 or 21 foot model. We went in October where the morning was calm but those winds get up in the afternoon. It was white capping some but not terrible...and I thought that boat was going to jar out every tooth in my head. Phoenix is the smoothest riding one I've been in. Have not been in one of the Ikon boats yet.
Interesting! I talked to a guy at the ramp the other day and he said his 21 foot Phoenix was a much smoother ride than his previous 21 foot Ranger but that's all the info I got. No model numbers.

Sounds to me like you just need to retire and fish on the days it isn't windy! 😂😂 In all seriousness I'm not much help other than to say I've fished out of a couple of OLD Ranger hulls that actually handled rough water pretty well just because they were so dang heavy.

Triton, Nitro, and Ranger after being acquired by White River Marine Group (Johnny Morris). It's commonly said that the quality of these lines declined after they sold out.

That said, mid 2000s Earl Bentz Tritons have a big following. I have a 2004 20x that's both fast and smooth.

Another thing about new boats…..they're EXPENSIVE! I'd love a new Phoenix or Bass Cat, but can't justify the $$$$$$$$$.
I think 2018 was the last year of the Earl Bentz hulls

The Phoenix 9 series is the wide body design, the 7 series is narrower. Both ride and drive great, with the 9 series handling rough water a little better and offering more deck space. I haven't seen them mentioned, but Falcon makes a nice riding and handling boat as well.

At the end of the day, unless you REALLY know how to drive a boat the TN river is gonna make any bass boat feel inadequate. Just buy what you like. You are gonna get fans of every brand in threads like these

Latest posts

Back