• Help Support TNDeer:

Glass Boat Questions

Funds catch too much wind,not a good livescope

Most boys catch more wind when fishing ,they are nice in the rough stuff though.

I think your talking about a different kind of boat.This thread Is about opunions on a used fiberglass bass boat.I don't know anyone that would pay $500 for someone to inspect a used bass boat they are looking at buying.You can open the back bilge compartment in most and see the through hull fitting or there may be an access panel.
The reason I didn't keep my bay boat for fresh water fishing was it caught too much wind while bass fishing.

One similar to this will take the waves good 😜😂
200.gif
If I ever lose my man card, start listening to rap music, suddenly need attention on a scale approaching mental illness, or forget how to back a boat down the ramp and launch in a timely manner I'm sure something like this will be my first purchase.

After reading these posts I think I'll only consider:

Bass Cat
Ranger (pre-Johnny Morris)
Triton (pre-Johnny Morris)
Champion (if I can one of their last year models)

I might consider Phoenix, but I'll have to ride in one. I love fast boats and if an Allison is that good in rough water that would be awesome. However, I'm wondering if they blow around in the wind as bad as an aluminum boat due to weight. I have a friend in Louisiana that livescopes out of an Allison. I will have to get his opinion and maybe fish with him.

First things first, I've got to get my boat ready to sell.

Bluball- I certainly wasn't buying bass boats but many bay boats are laid out in a similar way.

My commentary started from someone saying "don't worry about the age of the hull and stress cracks"

That's terrible advice.

If I were buying a used boat today that had wood construction, I'd personally inspect it very closely with a moisture meter and a phenolic hammer.

Bluball- I certainly wasn't buying bass boats but many bay boats are laid out in a similar way.

My commentary started from someone saying "don't worry about the age of the hull and stress cracks"

That's terrible advice.

If I were buying a used boat today that had wood construction, I'd personally inspect it very closely with a moisture meter and a phenolic hammer.
I spend some time on The Hull Truth and have read about surveys a lot. I don't know if anyone that is not on the coast does them, but I don't think it would be a bad idea the way boat prices have gone. Let's say I find a 2005 Ranger in mint condition for $30k and the only question mark is age of the hull/hull integrity. I would think $500 for a survey would be cheap insurance. However, I'm no expert on glass boats. The odds of hull issues on a 20 year old garage kept bass boat may be miniscule.

Most boats after the early 2000s went to all composite hulls. Even the deck pads and stringers are laid up composite fillers. Look close at all the seams around the transoms for stress cracks more than a spider webs worth. Lay down with a level and make sure the pad is still flat in front of the lip in the back. And if it's been kept inside or under a quality cover. I'd not hesitate on a good deal on a late 2000,s boat.

Most boats after the early 2000s went to all composite hulls. Even the deck pads and stringers are laid up composite fillers. Look close at all the seams around the transoms for stress cracks more than a spider webs worth. Lay down with a level and make sure the pad is still flat in front of the lip in the back. And if it's been kept inside or under a quality cover. I'd not hesitate on a good deal on a late 2000,s boat.
I saw one Allison for sale that had a "blueprinted" hull. I've got to look that up when I get a chance. That's a new one on me.

I spend some time on The Hull Truth and have read about surveys a lot. I don't know if anyone that is not on the coast does them, but I don't think it would be a bad idea the way boat prices have gone. Let's say I find a 2005 Ranger in mint condition for $30k and the only question mark is age of the hull/hull integrity. I would think $500 for a survey would be cheap insurance. However, I'm no expert on glass boats. The odds of hull issues on a 20 year old garage kept bass boat may be miniscule.
In my experience, where it is kept is less important than how it was treated- especially on the trailer.

If a transom saver was used, you're correct. If not, the weight of a trimmed up outboard bouncing around can cause problems in a hurry.

View attachment 229881

Tell me that dude right there ain't bad…. Belongs to a good friend of mine.
Yes, on a glass day. But on a cold, windy day with 5 miles to run across a bay….

I want mine. To each his own. This is with basically 4 guys and 50 gals of gas. ( one guy up front of the console, and I'm the weight of two)

1717350897651.jpeg

Yes, on a glass day. But on a cold, windy day with 5 miles to run across a bay….

I want mine. To each his own. This is with basically 4 guys and 50 gals of gas. ( one guy up front of the console, and I'm the weight of two)

View attachment 229884

I promise you would be surprised if you actually rode in one. Everyone always is. I have been on Chickamauga in one when it got rough and I'm telling you when I say rough there were 3 foot rollers and the guy I was with put it on top of them and when we would land on each wave it felt like we were actually hitting a pillow. I have no lies to tell you…

I had a 2002. Which was the slightly smaller hull. Running a modded 225 Pro Max at about 265 hp. With me at 245 and my buddy at 280 standing side by side flipping bushes it never even dipped the gunnel. Anyone who doesn't like an Allison either never fished from one or just doesn't like the layout. Mine was all front deck with a small cockpit and medium sized back deck. It rides low in the water and I never had a day where I felt it kite in the wind like some other boats. I miss my boat but my mom got sick with cancer and I sold it to have the money to take time off to be with her till she passed.

I had a 2002. Which was the slightly smaller hull. Running a modded 225 Pro Max at about 265 hp. With me at 245 and my buddy at 280 standing side by side flipping bushes it never even dipped the gunnel. Anyone who doesn't like an Allison either never fished from one or just doesn't like the layout. Mine was all front deck with a small cockpit and medium sized back deck. It rides low in the water and I never had a day where I felt it kite in the wind like some other boats. I miss my boat but my mom got sick with cancer and I sold it to have the money to take time off to be with her till she passed.
You are describing exactly what I like. I fish by myself most of the time so I couldn't care less about the back deck.

Back