gotta love kayakers

Headhunter

Went fishing Memorial day afternoon. I guess it was the weather but several at the boat ramp, Hurricane Creek, but not packed. No one using the ramp and I pulled up to get boat ready to launch. A pontoon pulled in beside me. When I get out of truck, a man and woman pull up behind my boat and back down the ramp. They take close to 20 minutes to unload their kayaks and gear. I just stood and watched. When the pontoon backed down another guy pulled in beside me and that guy couldn't believe they just cut like they did.

It takes me maybe 5 minutes to be in my boat and easing out, that includes parking. The man finally pulled out to park and I took my time intentionally. He came walking down and I told what I thought of him, cutting in line and then taking forever. He said he was a polite southerner and hated I was a rude yankee. I gave him several more "words" or encouragement. What was even funnier is the man asked the guy (who had pulled in beside me second) what he thought of me being a rude person, and he told him he was lucky it wasn't him. He said he would have pulled his kayaks out into the lake and left them. He gave him a few "words" of encouragement also.

WTM

wow. never would have guessed youre a yankee.

dont get why they have to use a ramp unless they are weak, handicapped or lazy. i cant benchpress 595 anymore but i bet i could throw one of those a fur piece into the lake.

TNReb

Some people simply don't know any better. Some people will never learn and just don't care. I've seen it with bass boats, kayaks, wake board boats, pontoons, cabin boats...

Last encounter I had with a kayaker was good. I pulled up to the ramp.. stopped in the right area and started getting my boat ready to launch. There was a kayaker on the ramp getting all of his stuff ready. It was a 2 lane ramp, and he was mostly over to one side... but not entirely. The ramp was empty when he got there (and not a single vehicle in the parking lot), so it wasn't really a big deal that he pulled on to the ramp to get ready.

When I got ready to launch he hollered over and asked if I had plenty of room. We talked fishing for a couple minutes. Good dude.

I've learned not to get in a hissy when there's ignorant people at the ramp. No sense in starting my fishing trip off on the wrong foot.

If you want to say something to them, a polite... "Hey.. just a heads up.. it's generally better for everyone if you stop back there and get your stuff ready. It'll keep the jerks from yelling at you. Good luck today. Be safe." ... will usually go farther than fussing at them.

killingtime 41

I don't even fish Douglas lake anymore hardly dandridge ramp is an absolute cluster. I don't have the patience to deal with what is supposed to be a relaxing time. Face it to many people live here anymore to have it remotely close to the way it was even 8 years ago that would be a blessing. And only a hand full of ramps. I will put it at lesser known places. But just to crowded on the lake for my peaceful time I'm trying to accomplish.

redblood

They dont bother me. They have a right to the water as well. I deal with a few on lakes, they are generally nice. We see alot on the river as well. The only ones i have issue with are the ones who are half dunk blaring music on the river, usually in large groups.

ImThere

They dont bother me. They have a right to the water as well. I deal with a few on lakes, they are generally nice. We see alot on the river as well. The only ones i have issue with are the ones who are half dunk blaring music on the river, usually in large groups.
Yes but if they are going to launch from the ramp they should know the proper etiquette.

RobbyW

We went out a few weeks ago and came back about 3. Apparently there was a bass tournament and check was 3. I saw some of the worst boat ramp etiquette that I have ever seen. Cutting in line at the dock, blocking the road to get their fish in on time, horrible look for bass tournaments

Crow Terminator

I can't stand anybody, in any vessel, that pulls onto the ramp to stage their gear. The reason kayakers get the bad rap there is...the modern fishing kayaker has a 200 lb kayak, along with10 or 12 inch sonar units, batteries, trolling motor, and more tackle/rods/reels than tournament boats. Because it's not a boat with storage and by the nature of how they are...they can't travel to the lake or river with gear IN the boat. It all has to be loaded from the vehicle after getting there. They have so much stuff that they have to be at the waters edge to load it all in...and vice versa when they leave. I always say, they defeated the benefits/perks of kayak fishing...which was being able to go places a boat couldn't go, and just fish with a rod or two and limited tackle. It is particularly bad when a group of them are together and they just beach em on the ramp and stand there and talk. I still kayak fish but I never go places with it that I can take my boat. And my kayak is still simple enough I can throw it in the truck bed, go anywhere and just roll it to the waters edge. Everything I need to fish with is in my life vest pockets or a single 3600 size storage box. 1 rod and a small lunch box for a drink or two.

Headhunter

It is not the fact that he used the ramp, I do disagree a little with kayaks using the ramp, they don't pay a fee just to have the kayak on the water like most others that have boat, jet ski, etc. but they can use the ramp just like anyone else. I would not say anything just because it is a kayak.

BUT CUTTING in front of everyone else is wrong! That was the problem. Several vehicles showed up at approximately the same time and he drove past a couple others to cut line at the ramp. And then calls me a yankee for letting him know it was wrong.

megalomaniac

last kayaker I saw fishing took up BOTH lanes at the ramp while retrieving... and spent 10 minutes loading his kayak and gear.... good grief

mike243

Well I have a inflatable toon that's registered just like the rest of the boats launching, I wait my turn back down throw everything over off the ramp pull out park, then I mount motor put my gear on it and troll on, my 18' toon loves gas and no more time than I want to spend out it works fine most of the time.

moondawg

Kayaker here. This is one reason I don't fish major lakes on a major holiday. Too much boat traffic for me. I tend to fish the smaller and lesser known waters with less traffic.

The steps I take to go fishing: back down the ramp, untie the kayak, unload kayak from back of the truck onto the ramp (placing kayak off to the side out of the way), remove paddle/fishing pole/ milk crate, drive up the ramp to the parking spot, change shoes and get to kayak.

Then put paddle together, place milk crate on the back of kayak, put fishing rods in the rod holder (attached to milk crate), put life vest on, walk kayak about knee deep in water, and sit on the kayak (I have a sit on top).

I try to do this as quickly as possible, and stage my kayak off to the side in case another boater wants to unload his/her boat. I can't say I've ever had any issues with anyone at the ramp.

FLTENNHUNTER1

wow. never would have guessed youre a yankee.

dont get why they have to use a ramp unless they are weak, handicapped or lazy. i cant benchpress 595 anymore but i bet i could throw one of those a fur piece into the lake.
Unless it is a 14 foot Pro Angler Hobie like mine. Beast weighs 140 pounds. I haul 2 of them in a cargo trailer and can actually launch them faster than I can my bass boat.

WTM

Unless it is a 14 foot Pro Angler Hobie like mine. Beast weighs 140 pounds. I haul 2 of them in a cargo trailer and can actually launch them faster than I can my bass boat.
lol i used to do high rep bicep curls with 135-175. when i was fighting i was a beast. still fairly strong but injuries have caught up with me.

still there is plenty of room around our ramps to sling a kayak into.

the only problem i have with them is i about ran over a guy in one. they should require a 6ft orange flag in public water.

Latest posts