• Help Support TNDeer:

Gunna need a bigger gun...I'm sick!!!!

Otterman

So I got my first up close gobbler in my face today! :crazy: Not much action early in the morning, but after the front moved through 2 big gobblers started looking for love. 2 of my buddies move across the field to find �em. Me and my other buddy stayed where we were. We could hear the gobbles getting closer. Then my phone goes off, �2 long beards comming your way, they circled behind us and we couldn�t get a shot�. So the guy I�m with starts calling, and we�re looking...nothing. We can hear �em, but can�t see �em. Then I spot �em off to the left in the woods. :D They were strutting and spitting like crazy. We are looking at a double on my first shot opportunity ever. His goes behind a tree, mine is between 2 trees standing pretty. I hear �smoke �em�, and I shoot. He stumbles......and gets up and flies away!!! :mad: I�m just sick...big bird, first bird, and he�s outta there. I step it off and measure my steps when I get home 40yds. Shot with a 20ga 3�mag nitro. Shots in both trees. I have never been so disappointed missing an animal ever, I�m sick over it. :sick:

I am hooked, but I�m bringing a bigger gun next time!!!!:eek:

muddyboots said:
40 yards is pushing a 20 guage.

At the time we were thinking it was more like 30. When I got home and stepped it off and realized it was 40 thats the only thing that made me feel a little bit better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :whistle:

I won't even hunt with a 20ga even though there are plenty that do and are successful. I never had success until I graduated to a 12ga.

adamf5353 said:
I won't even hunt with a 20ga even though there are plenty that do and are successful. I never had success until I graduated to a 12ga.

The 20ga is my only gun with a removable choke. I am going to buy a new barrel for my 1100 12ga asap, it has a fixed mod now. I might have been better off with that and an extended range shell.

What choke did you have in the 20,sounds like the gun and shell should have been fine with the proper choke,some of the guys who duck hunt with me only shoot 20's and make some pretty impressive shots!

big B said:
What choke did you have in the 20,sounds like the gun and shell should have been fine with the proper choke,some of the guys who duck hunt with me only shoot 20's and make some pretty impressive shots!

H.S. Undertaker

What kind of 20 do you have? I bought a remington choke for my 870 and it does great at 30 yards haven't shot at 40 but I am confiedent that it would kill at that range. sorry for your bad luck, it happens to EVERYBODY.

big B said:
Sounds like you had a good set up to me have you patterned the gun at 40?

harvester said:
What kind of 20 do you have? I bought a remington choke for my 870 and it does great at 30 yards haven't shot at 40 but I am confiedent that it would kill at that range. sorry for your bad luck, it happens to EVERYBODY.

I haven't patterned it at 40. It's a Winchester 1300. I figured it probably should have done the trick at 40. Man it would have been an awsome first bird. The picture is burned into my mind. It gives all new meaning to getting flipped the bird.

harvester said:

10 more yards could be a complete miss, that's why people should shoot their guns at different yardages to she EXACTLY what it will do.

Don't try to over analyze the situation I think your setup was fine sometimes s%&* happens,keep after em be patient and you'll get your burd.

Don't think it was the gun.With a better choke and some good hevi shot you could have made the shot.

You said you never shot at 40 so you have no idea what kind of pattern you are getting with that combo.Hate that you lost the bird.

Latest posts

Back