• Help Support TNDeer:

Headed to orange beach

go to J&M tackle shop. they will take care of you. tell them what you want to do and they will set you up. fishing is slow this time of year but you should be able to catch something. ladyfish, spanish macks, blues... anything shiny will get hit. DO NOT try to lip ANY saltwater fish like a bass. most have some serious teeth

http://www.jmtackle.com/

http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com/forum.php

we didn't do real good but managed a few last week:

7B4AB1A9-DD36-408F-9FFB-CA27FBDEF831.jpg

FCCAFECE-EE8D-48D5-8E45-84067DD1061A.jpg

01601487-5B4F-4C33-A269-DDC121C2749F.jpg

Ill be in Orange beach in October and want to try my hand at fishing. Ive fished charters but never by myself on the bank.

What's better, fishing from a pier or fishing from the beach?

How will the fish bite be in October?

TheDuke'sBack":3fgma01p said:
Ill be in Orange beach in October and want to try my hand at fishing. Ive fished charters but never by myself on the bank.

How will the fish bite be in October?

Fishing on the Gulf is generally good in October as the water temps start to cool.

You are targeting the same fish on the pier and from the surf for the most part. However, the very end of the pier does give you a better chance at some of the larger fish like kings and tarpon that are often past casting distance from the surf. Fishing off the pier also gives you the ability to watch other experienced fishermen and to mimic what they are doing to catch fish. The "regulars" on the pier down there are usually very helpful to a newcomer with info if approached in the right way (not as a know-it-all).

The fall is a great time to be in OB.

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to it.

I forgot I rented a pole and fished off of a pier in Destin a few years ago with some success. I caught maybe 4-5 "hardfins" I believe is what they where calling them, small fish.
The only negative thing I didn't like about the pier was hoisting a fish all the way up to the pier. I watched people catch and loose fish left and right trying to get them up, all of them where larger fish.

Is this just the nature of the beast?

TheDuke'sBack":3aplhxr5 said:
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to it.

I forgot I rented a pole and fished off of a pier in Destin a few years ago with some success. I caught maybe 4-5 "hardfins" I believe is what they where calling them, small fish.
The only negative thing I didn't like about the pier was hoisting a fish all the way up to the pier. I watched people catch and loose fish left and right trying to get them up, all of them where larger fish.

Is this just the nature of the beast?

nets and gaffs are used on the pier for the bigger fish

I just checked out that link for J&M tackle....holly ****...I thought bass fishing was expensive.

Some of those plugs where 50 a piece, and other various tackle over a hundred dollars. Not sure how I'm going to go about this, seeing as ill only be fishing a few days out of a year.

TheDuke'sBack":ztj62wuq said:
I just checked out that link for J&M tackle....holly ****...I thought bass fishing was expensive.

Some of those plugs where 50 a piece, and other various tackle over a hundred dollars. Not sure how I'm going to go about this, seeing as ill only be fishing a few days out of a year.

get some gotchas, looney jigs and bubble rigs and you will be good to go for the spanish mackerels, bluefish...

hardtails were what you were probably catching in destin

TheDuke'sBack":dtc0rqfz said:

surf fishing from the beach can be a major frustration if you don't know what to look for. it all looks the same to a neophyte but it is NOT!! there will always be fish around a pier.

Excellent, thanks for all the tips. Ill probably have more questions come time to take our trip. In the meantime ill keep reading that pier fishing forum, lots of information to be shared there.

Would I be better off buying my own rod and reel, or renting one? Does the pier even offer pole rentals?

I know the pier's in Destin you had to pay a small fee to have access to the pier for the day, will the pier be open at the crack of dawn when the fishing is best?

Again I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money, but want to be able to get the most out of my time there so ill be wanting to start each morning before the sun gets up so having my own pole might be the only option?

Stop off at the walmart in Foley and get a reasonably priced rod and reel. The reel is more important than the rod. Don't buy the cheesy rod and reel combos' for $30. They are disposable and only good for a few times out. Depending on what you catch, may not last one trip out. Rinse it off everyday after using it and oil it before you leave to go home and it will last forever. Another option when you get sick of the pier is to take the road out to fort morgan and fish the park at the end of the road. Go all the way out to the point and fish off the bank. That is the beginning of dixie bar. There is a potential of catching all kinds of big fish including bull reds and sharks. There is also peridido pass going in the other direction.

If you have any 7 ft spinning rods that you are not too worried about, they are great for throwing spoons and jigs.

TheDuke'sBack":360lfj42 said:
Would I be better off buying my own rod and reel, or renting one? Does the pier even offer pole rentals?

I know the pier's in Destin you had to pay a small fee to have access to the pier for the day, will the pier be open at the crack of dawn when the fishing is best?

Again I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money, but want to be able to get the most out of my time there so ill be wanting to start each morning before the sun gets up so having my own pole might be the only option?

the rentals are used and abused. it's best to buy your own. go to J&M's for a Penn combo.
it is a $9 daily fee and open 24/7

Latest posts

Back