• Help Support TNDeer:

Headed to orange beach

Realistically how much do you guys think Ill spend on a nice rod set up with the line and tackle that ill need to fish the pier and the surf locations you guys mentioned? Again I dont want to go cheap, but I dont want to break the bank. Any good place to order the tackle online for a cheap price so I can slowly start buying it awaiting my trip.

It all depends on what you mean by breaking the bank. At a minimum, a fiberglass surf rod starts at about $40 and reels start at about $60. Surf rods are not as critical as bass rods for sensitivity so the $40 rod will work. I have had some of those cheap combo's before and the rod lasted much longer than the reel. You could get a descent rod, reel, and line for under $150. I definitely think you could be completely outfitted for under $200. As for where to shop online, bass pro has their offshore angler line but if you google you can probably find allot better deals.

Like I mentioned earlier, stop at wally world in Foley. They have an impressive saltwater fishing selection and their prices are really good. I have purchased several really nice penn rods there at really good prices.

TheDuke'sBack":3idafnsq said:
Ok 200-250 is reasonable. What brand reels should I look for?

Is Live bait ever a good option fishing the surf?

Live bait is ALWAYS a good option from the surf or pier. Sand fleas dug from the receding wave line are great baits as are various minnows/small fish caught by cast net or seine. From the pier, the small "minnow" baits caught by sabiki or ribbon rigs are the mainstays for catching some of the larger species targeted from the pier. Live shrimp will catch a variety of species.

TheDuke'sBack":k0fmutch said:
Ok 200-250 is reasonable. What brand reels should I look for?

Is Live bait ever a good option fishing the surf?

go to J&M and get a Penn Battle combo for around $150. they'll also set you up for what tackle you need. just tell them what you want to do. i was well equipped and ready for just under $300 including rod and reel.

Fin Nor, Penn, Shimano, Daiwa, Okuma, and bass pro has their offshore angler series. I know people don't like ebay but you can get some good deals there.

Live bait is always a good option for surf fishing. Squid, shrimp, and sand fleas work for smaller stuff. I have caught reds in the surf using shrimp. Don't expect to catch spanish or blues using live bait. If you want to have some real fun, catch pinfish, croakers, and ladyfish and use them for bait. You will have to cut the ladyfish up. You can catch sharks in the surf at night. You can also go down to dixie bar and use big baits to catch bull reds and shark. I have also seen some pretty big sharks at the pass at peridido bay.

Latest posts

Back