• Help Support TNDeer:

Hire a guide they said...

I have been on a few guided trips.
One was "ok" most were a disppointment and a couple made me want to throw the pos out of the boat.
Unless they are associated with Scenic City Fishing, I won't go on another one.
Just pay Warren to take you fishing. Any lake, any time, any species, no electronics. He just sticks his finger in the water and the fish gods tell him where to go and catch the lunkers! He is The Great Fish Whisperer as well as The Great Turkey Whisperer!

One was "ok" most were a disppointment and a couple made me want to throw the pos out of the boat.
I've been with Scenic City twice, good guides Ben Hayes and Scott Lillie.
Going again in August, forgot the guides name.
Great outfit, great guides.

For ledge fishing, you have to have electronics to have any real success but you don't need the latest and greatest. You have to at least be able to find the ledge. People have successfully fished ledges long before the latest and greatest was even a concept. To me, a good guide will bust his backside trying to put his clients on fish, not on how up to date his boat and electronics are. He will put his time in before he takes clients out to make sure he is putting them on the best spots. I have fished with guides out of jon boats who had no electronics at all that put me on plenty of fish and I had a great time. I had a saltwater guide down in crystal river recently who worked harder than any guide I have ever been with and we didn't catch anything. He gave us 2 extra hours for free just trying to put us on fish when it was hot and miserable. Not only did we give him a great tip but we went out with him the next day and my buddy went out recently with him when he was back down in the area. My buddy will use him again when his brother is down there with him. On the flip side, I have had guides that were so lazy and didn't concern themselves with putting us on fish that they didn't get a tip and were given a terrible reviews.

So what if he would have had the latest and greatest bottom machine and marked fish everywhere. If the fish still would not have ate, would it be his fault. Either way, one ain't much of a "guide" if he has to rely on high tech electronics to find fish.
Electronics can help you find the fish, and granted, if they aren't going to eat, they won't.
But, being able to see the fish to at least know you are in the right place is a big factor in letting the client know you have him ON fish.
When you can watch fish react to your bait you have the confidence/hope that you can catch a fish.
When you are blind casting to open water with no indication a fish should be there, kinda disheartening.

Brother and I fished Ky Lake back in the 70's and 80's with little or no electronic. We did have a Hummingbird depth finder. We fished Drop offs, old creek channels and flats with stumps.Thats how we would fish. Fished the big Pond for many years and have pictures to assure you we caught fish. Remember this was before the intro of the Florida strain bass hybrids and such. We would catch few good fish in the 6 to 7 pound class and every once in a while a good 8lb one. We have fished on days with little or no fish were caught and days we culled from start to finish. I guess now it's a lot different. Have not fished much since the mid 90's. The old big Pond has changed and so have the fishing clients. Best of luck to all who fish the BigPond

When it comes to freshwater, I only get guides when I want to learn something. Last month, I went to lake Glenville for a week. It was a gin clear mountain lake. I wanted to know how to catch fish on that lake so I got a guide. I only caught two fish with the guide because of the weather but it was well worth it because I ended up having a fantastic day when it finally stopped raining and I got out on the water. The locals told me it was a very difficult lake to fish and that I should give it up and trout fish in some of the local streams. I also got a guide once on Ky Lake to learn ledge fishing. We caught fish and had a good time. I have gotten a guide on chickamauga lake with good success. I went to Guntersville for a week one time and regret to this day that I did not get a guide the first day I was there. We were able to catch fish but had I gone out with a guide, it would have been much better,

Brother and I fished Ky Lake back in the 70's and 80's with little or no electronic. We did have a Hummingbird depth finder. We fished Drop offs, old creek channels and flats with stumps.Thats how we would fish. Fished the big Pond for many years and have pictures to assure you we caught fish. Remember this was before the intro of the Florida strain bass hybrids and such. We would catch few good fish in the 6 to 7 pound class and every once in a while a good 8lb one. We have fished on days with little or no fish were caught and days we culled from start to finish. I guess now it's a lot different. Have not fished much since the mid 90's. The old big Pond has changed and so have the fishing clients. Best of luck to all who fish the BigPond
The fishing has changed allot since the asian carp invasion. I have been fishing Ky Lake since the 80's and I have no idea how to catch fish on that lake anymore.

You really should start fishing professional bass tournaments since you can find fish anytime with no electronics. You would be a megasuperstar and make millions! It's amazing that you are the best turkey hunter in the world AND best fisherman in the world! Or maybe you are just an internet blowhorn eating hotpockets in your parents' basement claiming to be the greatest at everything when you've never done anything. Fess up Warren. Which is it? I'd bet on the latter.
Although I have made a lot of money selling bait to them in my youth, I am not big on tournaments or tournament guys, fresh or salt water. Proved myself as a fisherman early in my life, by making a living selling them. ;)

Amen to scenic city

Period

We booked a crappie trip with a local on priest
2 trips. 4 on first one so he took us again and we had 14 keepers

My sorry fishing self can do that .

Richard and his guides are the best
Scenic city

Electronics can help you find the fish, and granted, if they aren't going to eat, they won't.
But, being able to see the fish to at least know you are in the right place is a big factor in letting the client know you have him ON fish.
When you can watch fish react to your bait you have the confidence/hope that you can catch a fish.
When you are blind casting to open water with no indication a fish should be there, kinda disheartening.
It is a shame most of today's "clients" are a product of today's "society". Better luck next time.

In 2022 I got a guide to fish on the Mobile Bay, the only thing caught was a croaker. He tried everything he could to get me on some reds and specks to no avail. Fast foward to this year, I booked the same guide giving him the benefit of the doubt. Caught 12 specks and 4 reds. Had a couple of hookups on tripletail but they got off at the boat. Sometimes a bad day of fishing is just that.

Amazing how these threads go off topic. Nobody said fish were never caught before electronics. The topic was about a guide on Kentucky Lake getting paid to put someone on fish in July, fishing offshore and he didn't have the best tools available on his boat to offer his clients a better chance of success.
Not everyone can afford the best tools available. The issue should be how knowledgeable the guide was and how hard he worked to put the client on fish. It does not sound like the guide tried very hard. Thats what would have upset me, not the fact that he didn't have better equipment.

sounds like the guide doesnt know ky lake very well or its seasonal fish movements. folks that think that LMB doesnt go shallower in 80-85 degree water this time of year and think that big bass park themselves on the ledges or deep humps all summer long wont do very well here. july and august is tough with all the bait in the water. monday evening there where bait schools from the main channel to 4 miles to the backs of bays but if you know the 3 key structures and cover to hit then youll do pretty good. this lake fishes as big as it is and not small like other lakes.

to be honest, id rather have a guide that has spent at least 30 years on the lake over someone with 150 grand in boat and electronics. like i said in other threads that once these community holes plays out (which they have been) then most of these guys are going to be like "what do i do now?"

the mid and south sections are on the upswing and seems like its as healthy as it has been in a long time. like ive posted a few years ago, it wasnt the asian carp eating all the bait, crappie, bass fry, food or any of that nonsense. it was back to back winter freezes and floods that killed the bait and the spawns. but then if you hadnt been on the water with your nose out of the electronics then you wouldnt have noticed.

I've been with Scenic City twice, good guides Ben Hayes and Scott Lillie.
Going again in August, forgot the guides name.
Great outfit, great guides.
You're on the calendar with catfish guide, Capt. Aaron Massey. Depending upon what technique you'll be using, I'm not sure how much Capt. Massey relies on electronics. But I do know you will be fishing out of a brand new 24-foot SeaArk with ALL new electronics on it. Maybe you can show him how to use it. ;)

With electronics, you at least know if the fish are there

Attachments

• 1595203422403.jpg
    1595203422403.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back