• Help Support TNDeer:

Hire a guide they said...

You're on the calendar with catfish guide, Capt. Aaron Massey. Depending upon what technique you'll be using, I'm not sure how much Capt. Massey relies on electronics. But I do know you will be fishing out of a brand new 24-foot SeaArk with ALL new electronics on it. Maybe you can show him how to use it. ;)
If he's part of the Scenic City crew, I have no doubts we'll be in good hands.

That's ok. That's just more fish for the rest of us that aren't stuck in the 60's. They can puff their chests out about not using electronics while we are catching fish.
Lol, what you should know about me and my comments is that I fish rivers 99% of the time. By rivers I mean clear water fairly shallow rivers for trout in the spring and smallmouth in the summer. Electronics in my world are worthless. I don't understand them and they scare me 🤣🤣

I was stirring the pot this morning and don't really care what folks use on the lakes. Im glad people enjoy the lakes because I cannot imagine a worse way to spend a day fishing. Im a river guy

I grew up fishing Norris though, and we didn't have any electronics and slayed fish all summer from knowledge we gained during the winter when the lake was drawn down.

Lol, what you should know about me and my comments is that I fish rivers 99% of the time. By rivers I mean clear water fairly shallow rivers for trout in the spring and smallmouth in the summer. Electronics in my world are worthless. I don't understand them and they scare me 🤣🤣
I just ignored you this morning because I've read enough of your posts about river fishing and seen pics to figure electronics wouldn't be much good where you fish. 😅

You really should start fishing professional bass tournaments since you can find fish anytime with no electronics. You would be a megasuperstar and make millions! It's amazing that you are the best turkey hunter in the world AND best fisherman in the world! Or maybe you are just an internet blowhorn eating hotpockets in your parents' basement claiming to be the greatest at everything when you've never done anything. Fess up Warren. Which is it? I'd bet on the latter.
Mmm Hot Pockets. Always burn myself though because I am fat and impatient

You really should start fishing professional bass tournaments since you can find fish anytime with no electronics. You would be a megasuperstar and make millions! It's amazing that you are the best turkey hunter in the world AND best fisherman in the world! Or maybe you are just an internet blowhorn eating hotpockets in your parents' basement claiming to be the greatest at everything when you've never done anything. Fess up Warren. Which is it? I'd bet on the latter.
Thats what i was thinking. I guess all the pros missed his memo on not being "real fisherman" without their electronics.

Amen to scenic city

Period

We booked a crappie trip with a local on priest
2 trips. 4 on first one so he took us again and we had 14 keepers

My sorry fishing self can do that .

Richard and his guides are the best
Scenic city
There are usually some good crappie guides on preist . Im curious as to who you went with.

My buddy recently had a inshore/nearshore trip out of Myrtle Beach. He said it was the worse trip he's ever been on. He said they left the dock and went out...right to a public fishing pier. The captain was so close to it that he ran over the people's lines fishing from the pier...made all those people mad, and then was going to sit there to fish with people from the pier throwing stuff at them. They did a half day trip and caught 3 fish.

My worse was a day trip on Chickamauga. I went with a guide known on social media for consistency on big fish and numbers too. He also does electronics training trips. The only time he used them with us, was for maps. We fished 8 hours and caught 1 bass, a little 12 incher on a fluke about 30 mins into our day. He was in panic mode...we pretty much ran the whole lake length wise looking for fish. He didn't charge us for the trip...I tried paying his gas because I knew he sure ran a lot of it out but he wouldn't let me. The guides on the White River have exceeded my expectations. More like...spoiled me. 20+ fish a day and trout over 5 lbs every trip. Fun and fellowship. And they feed ya lunch as well. Fried chicken one day with fixins and some really good deli subs from somewhere.

Last edited:
Just to throw into the great conversations that have been in this thread. I have taken one guided trip back in the 80's. It was on Keuka Lake in NY. We trolled for trout and salmon. Caught 11 if memory serves me right. I am going on my second guided trip this December with Scenic City Charters and Capt. Scott Lillie. We are gonna slay the Walleye.

I am a guide but not on KY lake. I wish you had a better experience. I hope you discussed your concerns during the trip so that he could have changed his routine. I tell clients please let me know during the trip if they have concerns or questions. I can do nothing after the trip is over. I tell a bunch of stories and tell if they prefer quiet....but that is me.
My hunting camps I tell them the same...please let me know and IF I can do something about it I will.

Just to throw into the great conversations that have been in this thread. I have taken one guided trip back in the 80's. It was on Keuka Lake in NY. We trolled for trout and salmon. Caught 11 if memory serves me right. I am going on my second guided trip this December with Scenic City Charters and Capt. Scott Lillie. We are gonna slay the Walleye.
I didn't know keuka had salmon, I may have to look into that some year.

My worse was a day trip on Chickamauga. I went with a guide known on social media for consistency on big fish and numbers too. He also does electronics training trips. The only time he used them with us, was for maps. We fished 8 hours and caught 1 bass, a little 12 incher on a fluke about 30 mins into our day. He was in panic mode...we pretty much ran the whole lake length wise looking for fish. He didn't charge us for the trip...I tried paying his gas because I knew he sure ran a lot of it out but he wouldn't let me.
Thats what I would expect out of a good guide. Sounds like he busted his butt and when he did not put you on fish, he didn't want to charge you. That is very rare. If he wasn't a good guide and didn't know what he was doing, he would never make any money doing that and would need a different day job in order to eat.

Did you tell him you were a guide? I might not have shown you my spots either lol
I did. And that I was from 2 hours away and I never guide for bass.
He was telling us every spot was one of his "go to" spots.
He just kept us on non-productive spots way too long.
When I pull up on a spot, if we don't have a fish within 15-20 minutes we are moving.
I never fail to mention that I am a guide and I have NEVER taken a client to another guide's spot.
Unless it is on my home lake of Percy Priest here in Nashville and those are all community spots that we all know.
We just have to move and find where the fish (hybrids and white bass) are that day.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I never fish for bass on my lake.
And I'm sure not going to meet a client 2 hours from me and fish a totally unknown location for a species I have very little knowledge about.

Scott is a great guide, very personable and will work his butt off to get you fish.
The fish don't always cooperate but Scott will constantly try different lures, tactics, whatever it takes to try and get you fish.
My buddy and I contracted Rogne Brown (retired) about 6 years ago for an all day bass trip on Chickamauga in March of that year, on a Thursday.
I caught the only fish of the trip (8 hrs), a 5 lb bass.
Late in the trip he mentioned that he was a captain for a high school team and they had a tournament the following day.
I noticed all the waypoints on his graph and also noticed that we didn't hit ANY of those waypoints.
Highly disappointed in the man.

Scott is a great guide, very personable and will work his butt off to get you fish.
The fish don't always cooperate but Scott will constantly try different lures, tactics, whatever it takes to try and get you fish.
My buddy and I contracted Rogne Brown (retired) about 6 years ago for an all day bass trip on Chickamauga in March of that year, on a Thursday.
I caught the only fish of the trip (8 hrs), a 5 lb bass.
Late in the trip he mentioned that he was a captain for a high school team and they had a tournament the following day.
I noticed all the waypoints on his graph and also noticed that we didn't hit ANY of those waypoints.
Highly disappointed in the man.
I have heard nothing but great stuff and Scenic City Charters and Capt. Scott. He and I grew up near each other in NYS and fished some of the same waters. Fish will be fish and no matter the outcome I know I will have a great time. Thanks for your info.

I didn't know keuka had salmon, I may have to look into that some year.
Landlocked Atlantic Salmon. Delicious 😋 plus Lake trout, Rainbow and Brown Trout. If I wasn't Walleye fishing I was trolling for the salmonoids. I lived not far from Keuka, about 20 miles. Honeoye was one of my favorite Walleye haunts, along with Silver and Oneida Lakes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back