• Help Support TNDeer:

How many of you guys have actually......

Andy S. said:
He field dressed 108 lbs WITH his antlers attached.
MOST 2 1/2's are going to be smaller-framed bodies (lighter weights) than 3 1/2's, something just makes their racks "appear" yet even larger.

Andy S. said:
My point is one should not be so quick to proudly say how he or she will handle a unique situation unless he or she has encountered that situation many times over and reacted in a similar manner with similar overall outcomes. Until this happens, my answer will most likely be "it depends." :)
Great "point" there, Andy.
Over the years I've been humbled many times when a buck I killed did not measure up to my stated standards. Back in 1997 I killed a top-end yearling with a spread exceeding 16", along with a 2 1/2-yr-old that actually made P & Y net as an 8-pointer. I've often wondered what either of those bucks could have become had I exercised a little more "trigger restraint".

This was my personal best 2 1/2 I've ever killed.
And he was a "ridge & hollow" TN buck that made P & Y as a 2 1/2! If I remember correctly, 126 1/8.
97PY.jpg

Both a TWRA biologist and KDFW biologist aged him at 2 1/2.

And believe or not, the one below was a yearling buck taken back when I used "8 points or better" to define a shooter:
97.jpg

Wes Parrish said:
MOST 2 1/2's are going to be smaller-framed bodies (lighter weights) than 3 1/2's, something just makes their racks "appear" yet even larger,
I agree 100%. This is just another factor that the above average 2 1/2's have working against them as far as survival and them slipping through the season unscathed. IMO, their odds of survival are slim to none in most hunted areas with average to high hunter density.

I think that's just fantastic that we seem to be growing an increasing number of 2 1/2's that are grossing over 120 and even 130! A friend of mine killed one about 4 years ago (in Middle TN) that netted over 130 as a very clean and symmetrical 10-pointer. Now if people like me and Andy would just stop killing them before they're grown! :D

Wes Parrish said:
Yep, between you and that Houston fellow, a nice-antlered young buck doesn't have a chance at Ames! :D
Boy boy boy, you have really done it now by putting me in the same category as him. The funny thing his response would be the same about putting him in same category as me. LOL :grin:

bowriter said:
Less than 1/10 of 1% of all deer hunters are concerned with the age of a deer. They just use that to equate with large antlers. If any hunter with normal mentality saw a 180" buck they knew was only 2.5, they would certainly shoot it. If they would not, they need serious treatment at a qualified mental health facility.

:D

TN RDG RNR said:
bowriter said:
Less than 1/10 of 1% of all deer hunters are concerned with the age of a deer. They just use that to equate with large antlers. If any hunter with normal mentality saw a 180" buck they knew was only 2.5, they would certainly shoot it. If they would not, they need serious treatment at a qualified mental health facility.

:D
yep,thats funny :)

I almost passed a 144 with my bow at PI
bow was in the holder video was in my hand he was at 8 yards. first morning of the hunt, and I had never killed a buck that big with my bow, after adding up his rack in my head I had him at 145+ I got to thinking how mad I will be if this is the only buck I see. and I laid the video down and grabed my bow.
Glad I did lol

But to answer your question i pass on 2-1/2 year olds bucks every year, I also Kill some every now and then. It all depends on how I feel that day lol, I hunt to make me happy me and only me.

I dont yet think like that except that i try to age them.....but.....i will shoot a 2.5 if he is exceptional.....I usually have to wait on a 3.5 because it takes them that long to reach what i consider an exceptional deer....8 pts and about 16+ on the spread .....if they meet that and the tines are nice length i shoot the first two can be met but only have 3 to 4" length on the g-2 g-3's and they get a pass. not too hard for me.

camoman270 said:
I dont yet think like that except that i try to age them.....but.....i will shoot a 2.5 if he is exceptional.....I usually have to wait on a 3.5 because it takes them that long to reach what i consider an exceptional deer....8 pts and about 16+ on the spread .....if they meet that and the tines are nice length i shoot the first two can be met but only have 3 to 4" length on the g-2 g-3's and they get a pass. not too hard for me.

Use to have the same standards myself. Being tagged out in october caused me to up the standards.

Latest posts

Back