• Help Support TNDeer:

Huge flathead

I'll get bashed for saying this but there is no way that fish is remotely close to 100lbs. Or that kid is power lifter in his spare time. They didn't even weigh it. Put 100lbs in a sack and tell the kid to lift it......hell, put 75lbs in a sack and tell him to. That is a helluva flattie, and I say congrats to the kid, but if your going to make state record claims, and get the media involved, then please have a set of scales on the boat.

rukiddin":1asammrr said:
I'll get bashed for saying this but there is no way that fish is remotely close to 100lbs. Or that kid is power lifter in his spare time. They didn't even weigh it. Put 100lbs in a sack and tell the kid to lift it......hell, put 75lbs in a sack and tell him to. That is a helluva flattie, and I say congrats to the kid, but if your going to make state record claims, and get the media involved, then please have a set of scales on the boat.
Well the article says "the state wildlife officials estimate it to be around 100 pounds" and " the officials claim it could brake a record" also the officials claim the "fish could be 20 years old"

I agree the fish dont look 100 pounds,but from the look of the article the TWRA officials were making all the claims not the kid and his family.

Better question is I'm guessing after they caught this monster fish they called the TWRA out to look at it right? Why did the TWRA officials not have a way to weigh the fish?

From my understanding, Twra never actually saw the fish. Just the pics. I don't care if God saw the fish, ain't no way a kid his size can hold up a 100 lb fish like that. Most grown men couldn't hold one up like that as easily as the kid is holding that one. Plus look how close his hands are. A 100 flathead mouth is enormous. Like I said, that is a great fish and the kid deserves some bragging, but not all the state record and media hype. Personally, it looks like a 50-60 lb fish.

He's getting all this credit for being such a great sportsman because he released what might have been a record, because according to the internet anyone who keeps a fish like that is less of a sportsman. I totally agree with you, it's a heck of a catch but there is no way that fish weighs 100lbs. That 16 yr old couldn't hold up a 100# fish. Maybe a 16yr old Varsity linebacker would be strong enough but, and not to insult the kid by any means, he does not look strong enough. Huge fish, one he will never for get, but it didn't hit triple digits.

Says they took many photos to show the TWRA officials, I would like to see them all, wonder what made the TWRA officials say it could have been 100 pound fish?

Im gonna guess the fish was 65-75 pounds.

Congrats to him for a heck of a fish.
I am sure the memory will stay with him for a very long time, as it should.

Good job young man !

rukiddin":3bk05xdk said:
From my understanding, Twra never actually saw the fish. Just the pics. I don't care if God saw the fish, ain't no way a kid his size can hold up a 100 lb fish like that. Most grown men couldn't hold one up like that as easily as the kid is holding that one. Plus look how close his hands are. A 100 flathead mouth is enormous. Like I said, that is a great fish and the kid deserves some bragging, but not all the state record and media hype. Personally, it looks like a 50-60 lb fish.
My thoughts exactly

This story took on a life of its own. TWRA Region III I&E Coordinator Mimi Barnes first wrote it and released the story in early June. That is when I published here: http://rheareview.com/was-it-a-state-record-flathead/

There were NO claims of it being a 100 lb. fish.... only that it MIGHT have been a state record (85-15).

Even though Mimi originally released her story in early June, somehow the story got picked up by the other (slow on the draw) media outlets... and like most good fish stories, the fish somehow got bigger. :rotf:

Note that in my story above, I added information on how it is possible to get an extremely accurate weight on monster catfish, even if you don't have a scale. The formula using measurements can't be used to establish a record, but it can definitely be used to declare the winner of any bar bets. :D

Latest posts

Back