• Help Support TNDeer:

Hunting knife????

You should check out the outdoor edge razor edge. They have a replaceable blade like the havalon, but a lot safer blade change design, and the replaceable blade can be sharpened if you want. Outdoor edge also has a folder with the replaceable blade and the gut blade. The gut blade is reaaly nice because it has a rounded edge so there is no way to puncture the gut. I have a buddy that has both the havalon and a outdoor edge and now he only uses the outdoor edge.

I've been field testing knives as a hobby, but now it's turn into a small business. I'm not a steel snob and won't trash anyone's favorite brand. I will say it's not so much the steel as it is the heat treating process. A good quality steel poorly heat treated can be a real let down, and a cheap steel perfectly heat treated can be very durable. Having said that this Esee 3 has been one of my favorites. The 1095 steel is extremely tough and their lifetime no questions asked warranty is hard to beat.

7mminatree":2c6xbh79 said:
I've been field testing knives as a hobby, but now it's turn into a small business. I'm not a steel snob and won't trash anyone's favorite brand. I will say it's not so much the steel as it is the heat treating process. A good quality steel poorly heat treated can be a real let down, and a cheap steel perfectly heat treated can be very durable. Having said that this Esee 3 has been one of my favorites. The 1095 steel is extremely tough and their lifetime no questions asked warranty is hard to beat.

Looks to be a great knife but not my liking on the blade contour. Do they make a lockblade knife?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TNReb":3ud9vf7v said:
I have a Buck Omni Hunter 10pt and like it just fine.

I would like to correct this list. I had an Omni Hunter. I can't find the dang thing anywhere. Searched for the last few days. Can't find it anywhere.

Looks like I gotta replace it with something....

I'm a fan of the Brisa EnZo Borka 90 folder. I know, it's a folder, but I like the blade geometry, the price isn't ridiculous ($130 federal) and the craftsmanship is top drawer (Finnish make). I also agree that Mora makes fantastic knives.
1689.jpg

Lots of great knives mentioned here. For a replaceable blade knife it's hard to eat the Havalon and the old standby Buck is a workhorse for sure. I have Shrade with a guthook that's worked on a bunch of deer also. The Gerber sharpened the easiest and the Buck held it's edge the best. This year I'm carrying one of my own creation. Can't post pics or I'd show it to you. Have a good season guys.

Brother in law gave me a Buck Omni Hunter for Christmas last year and I was waiting until I got to use it to give my opinion. Got the chance on Sunday and I'm very impressed. Held the edge very well during field dressing, skinning and quartering. I didn't even have to freshen the edge up. Normally I have separate knives for each one but I really wanted to see what it could do. The drop point is great for skinning and the handle has enough traction for field dressing. I normally use my regular pocket knife (Case Canoe) for field dressing but this new one has a spot in my pack now.

I'm a fan of the Fallkniven H1. I've had one for years and it is a very solid knife. Full tang, good thickness, non-slippery when wet and holds its edge.

I have a Gerber and a Kershaw both with blades maybe 2-3 inches long.

I recently got a Gerber thing that has a razorblade and what you do is split the skin with it. To my amazement you can split the hide down the front leg almost to the hoof with very little effort. Start high on the throat and split hide clean to the tail. Then sideways down each leg as far as you wanna go. Amazing tool. Highly recommended. Here is a link

https://www.google.com/search?q=Gerber+ ... UijLwgA%3D

I have a Rapala filet knife I use for deboning purposes.

Poser":2e5gbo7q said:
As far as carrying a skinner in the field, I've gone the Havalon route. I do, however, really like the Knives of Alaska line, especially the Cub Bear: https://www.knivesofalaska.com/search.a ... k=cub+bear

The skeletonized models are nice if you are carrying it around: https://www.knivesofalaska.com/store.asp?c=53

I'm a proponent of short knife blades in the 2.75 to 4 inch range for skinning and butchering whitetails. The short blades allow for more precise work.

i agree 100%. the cub bear (which you can get in D2 steel if you look) is maybe the perfect knife. awesome ergonomics, and the D2 will hold a wicked edge.

i also like a Victorinox curved boner (heh heh), and you can get these for ~$25. they are a regular kitchen knife stainless steel. they sharpen easily, but don't hold an edge as well as D2 or S30v.

all in all, to me, the cub bear is worth the extra to me.

String Music":mubjb4f0 said:
CharlieTN":mubjb4f0 said:
I've been using an Outdoor Edge SwingBlaze (same as the swingblade but in orange) for 2 years now. Holds a good edge. Nice and grippy and the zipper blade works exactly as advertised.

Now for skinning back at home I use what is called a sheep skinner. Then a boning knife and a large "steak" knife for further butchering.

X2. Makes cleaning deer a breeze.

I guess I must have gotten a lemon, then. I used one this week on a buck. It was the first time anything had been cut with it. It was dull before I finished cutting through the hide. Mine was a complete piece of junk. It will be cleaned up and go into the drawer and the Bucks will come back out.

I was VERY disappointed in the Swingblaze.

Back