• Help Support TNDeer:

Hunting old spots

I would hunt the old spots first. I have places I have hunted for years that I do not scout I just know that at certain times of the season I need to hunt this area. I will try my new spots after those. Now if I have places I have found say on a map that just looks like a great funnel or some place I found last season that had a lot of sign curiosity will usually get the best of me and I will have to go try it out.

I have spots that I hunt year after year. Because there is something in that location that I like. Weather it be a terrain feature, annual scrap location, water hole, ext…. So much so that I have two permanent blinds in locations that always pay off. I'm my opinion you have to be cautious not to over hunt these locations in a given year.

I have spots that I hunt year after year. Because there is something in that location that I like. Weather it be a terrain feature, annual scrap location, water hole, ext…. So much so that I have two permanent blinds in locations that always pay off. I'm my opinion you have to be cautious not to over hunt these locations in a given year.
Some stands may not produce like normal but certain stands never disappoint.

This is what makes hunting so much fun to me is trying to strategize which place to go to. Once I have found a place that I have noticed is better say early season or only during rut I try to leave those places till that time they have produced the best in the past. I have found that the first few sits in a place are usually your best bet on seeing deer or that buck you are after especially if no one else has been hunting that area. This can be hard if you are just hunting public. Also just go with your gut feeling if something just feels right just go with it.

I have been hunting my small farm for over 30 years, so pretty well all my spots are old spots with the exception of the occasional new spots I sometimes try.

Latest posts

Back