• Help Support TNDeer:

Information on Rock Island?

TNCharlie

It's been suggested to me that I should look into fishing around Rock Island. I've never been in that particular area and know nothing about it. It's about two hours away from me, but that would be okay if the fishing justifies it.

Any information is appreciated. Boat access? Fishing methods? Things to watch out for? Places to eat (supposedly there is some good place there that attracts a lot of people)?

TIA.

Rock island market aka Beano's is a popular place to eat. Typical southern food. Close by is the Foglight Food house with excellent food service is slower. There is also a new place Smokin Bricks wood fired pizza and bbq.

Fishing is supposed to be good but I haven't figured it out yet. Walleyes spawn below the greatfalls dam Feb-April . Fishing is VERY hit or miss. Rain, dam flow, water clarity, cold fronts all will turn the fishing on or off like a light switch. I have seen 30 boats fishing and nobody is catching anything all morning. Then they turn the generators on, and for an hour people start getting bites. Then the water temp drops too much from the generation and the bite shuts down.

Above the dam its more like lake fishing. Caneyfork, Rocky, and Collins river all feed into the great falls lake area. Crappie/bass/brim/catfish/musky Daniel90 fishes it a lot and would be a good guy to ask.
Hope this helps a bit. I would offer to meet up with you but my work schedule is killer for the next couple months.

Thanks! That gives me some idea as to what to expect. I guess that I will just have to take a trip or two and see what works. The food tips sound really good.

I used to have that work problem. Cured it with a good dose of retirement. :-)

Latest posts

Back