• Help Support TNDeer:

Keeping bass

yeah i was thinking they probably accumalate more because a keeper 15" bass takes 4-5 years to grow where as a crappie or fiddler catfish is probably half that time.

the only advisory around here for crappie is springville/west sandy area. must be a bunch of mercury in the water and dirt up there.

I believe in hook and cook. I release 90 percent of the fish I catch mainly because I am an adrenaline junkie and like to hook and release them quickly. I will keep and eat all legal trout I catch. I would love to eat more bass but the contaminants have me concerned. I also use the scale and filet method, even for bluegill.

FLTENNHUNTER1":1qee0x5b said:
I believe in hook and cook. I release 90 percent of the fish I catch mainly because I am an adrenaline junkie and like to hook and release them quickly. I will keep and eat all legal trout I catch. I would love to eat more bass but the contaminants have me concerned. I also use the scale and filet method, even for bluegill.
Smart man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM":373lzyof said:
RUGER":373lzyof said:
I tried largemouth several years ago, out of a small pond, and didn't really care for them.

This year my buddy wanted to try them so I caught a few out of a TWRA lake and cleaned them.
I was actually surprised how good they were.
I assume due to them coming from a larger body of water.

These were in the 1 1/2# range.

small ponds tend to get stagnated, even bluegill taste off.

when i was a teenager we ate them all the time out of the old quarry lake and dr blackburns lake. to me they taste about like white bass.

i probably wouldnt eat any out of the tn river because LMB tend to hold higher levels of contaminants more than other fish for some reason.
my pond is 1 acre, muddy bottom, spring fed. Water is a muddy green/brown color all summer. But for some reason, the catfish and bass in there are some of the best I've eaten. No muddy taste at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back