• Help Support TNDeer:

Last morning at Orange beach

easy45

Finally hooked some lady fish, those things are fun, next time I'll be better prepared to catch more of a variety of fish
9dc5f4c44f3943f9db76da7c0553d871.jpg

876de59332963c486aa2ddafa38cf83a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you snag these off the pier?

Can you eat these fish? My plan Is to catch enough to eat a night or two but I'm no saltwater fisherman so I need a 101 on what to eat, and not to eat.

TheDuke'sBack":17krp3rq said:

Can you eat these fish? My plan Is to catch enough to eat a night or two but I'm no saltwater fisherman so I need a 101 on what to eat, and not to eat.
I guess you could eat them,but only as a last resort, they're mainly just used as bait.

TheDuke'sBack":255pfxus said:

Can you eat really gross things that make most people retch? If so, then you can eat them. They are very boney and have a very strong fish oil taste. Some people like that. They are a couple of steps down from a mullet which I find quite awful unless you get them right out of the hot grease and smother them in tarter sauce.

It's basically like a skipjack, just a lot more fun to catch, they put on an air show when you hook them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pompano are probably the best eating of all the fish that you can catch from the shore but I don't think they will be running. Of the fish that will most likely be running, I really like speckled sea trout the best followed by red fish. Your best bet for catching those would be on the bay side. Sand trout or silver trout are ok but a little fishier than specs and reds. You will need a fish grate to cook specs or silvers on the grill. To grill reds, fillet them but leave the skin on. Put butter and cajun seasonings on the meat side and sear it real quick and then finish it off on the skin side. If you are good with shark identification and you catch an atlantic sharpnose shark which is a small shark, they are legal to keep and are very good on the grill. The trick to shark is dealing with them as soon as you get them in. You can't just throw them on ice. You have to gut them and cut the tail to let it bleed out. The main artery on a shark runs along the spin. Once gutted and bled out, soak them in ice water. If you don't do this, the shark will taste like you marinaded it in urine.

TheDuke'sBack":32tibdtz said:
Cool, I want bother then. Whats the best eating and easiest to catch for a good dinner? Ill be grilling them

spanish mackerels will hit anything shiny and are delicious on the grill. be sure to use a flurocarbon or steel leader.

Back