Guess I got a little carried away. 😬

Pink Girl -36
Purple Cherokee - 36
Goliath - 12
Golden Jubilee - 12
Celebrity - 24
Roma - 36
Super Sweet 100 Cherry - 12

Yes, the Romas are for all things sauce/paste/powder.
I can wrap my mind around all of the ones listed...except the 12 Sweet 100...I grew 4 one year and it was unbelievable how many cherry tomatoes those 4 plants made...I cant imagine having 12!! Wow!!

WTM

been a good year for tomatoes. deer got my hort beans before i got my fake fence up so i had to replant. crab and dallas grass is the devil. i usually do no till but has to do some tillage this year due to no planting any covers last year. also late getting started due to rain, around 2nd week in may.

IMG_1973.jpeg

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

of course it never fails for a storm to tear some stuff up

View attachment 233786
I was watching our garden out the window yesterday hoping the wind wouldn't cause to much damage...it got rough for about 30 minutes...getting a ground soaking hard rain in our location now...certainly wont have to water anything for a few days.

Terrier

Romas are blushing. Second round of beans coming up. Peach trees are looking good. Apple trees are recouping from the cicadas and japanese beetles. Herb garden is going strong. Just freeze dried 5 trays of basil.

God is good!!

View attachment 233531
View attachment 233532View attachment 233534View attachment 233533View attachment 233535View attachment 233536View attachment 233538View attachment 233537View attachment 233539
Looks great!

Japanese beetles can be controlled but putting out Milky Spore. It's a fungus carried in a chalk medium that you put on the ground that only affects the grubs of the Japanese beetles. I had a TERRIBLE infestation when I moved to my farm in 2014. Tens of thousands of 'em.

I applied milky spore around 2016 to about two acres that were around the house and gardens, and within a few years, there were no more Japanese beetles. NONE. Zero. Nada. It's purported to continue working for decades before retreatment ia necessary.

Get a 40 oz box of powder. That'll cover about two acres or more.

Get a small coffee can and poke some holes in it with an ice pick. Tape it to a five foot stick of 3/4" pvc with the bottom of the can about 3 to 4" off the ground. Load some in the can, replace the lid, and start walking, Lightly pop the stick down on the ground next to your foot once each step you take and make a pattern of dots that are about 3 or 4" In diameter, 3' apart in every direction. Put it everywhere you can stand to on your property. The rain will wash it into the ground and it will start working. When a grub is infected by a spore, that spore will multiply to about a million more, and the spores migrate thru the soil with the movement of the infected grubs before they die, eventually wiping them all out. Takes a couple years, but it WORKS, and only affects the Japanese Beetle grubs.

You'll be glad you made the effort.

I would recommend using the powder over the granules. It goes farther and is easier to apply. About $70-something for 40 oz

Do a search online for:

ST. GABRIEL ORGANICS Milky Spore Powder 40 oz.

Terrier

Note the two white spots in the photo below... that's all the milky spore powder you need to apply per spot, but walk a grid pattern over your whole area and place the dots about that far apart in all directions. It can take a bit of walking, but it's well worth the effort to put it out everywhere you remember seeing Japanese beetle damage or the bugs themselves. It helps if you do it all before it rains on it, so you can keep track of where you've been already... (my leg is in the pic for scale...)

IMG_0951.JPG

Note the two white spots in the photo below... that's all the milky spore powder you need to apply per spot, but walk a grid pattern over your whole area and place the dots about that far apart in all directions. It can take a bit of walking, but it's well worth the effort to put it out everywhere you remember seeing Japanese beetle damage or the bugs themselves. It helps if you do it all before it rains on it, so you can keep track of where you've been already... (my leg is in the pic for scale...)

View attachment 233827
Thanks much for the info!!

Latest posts