• Help Support TNDeer:

Lets see some Smokeless Muzzleloaders

Sounds good Fullstream, thanks!

Rockhound, whats the name of the place in Camden? Iv got a buddy that lives in Camden that might be able to help ship if necessary.

Been reading the forum for a few years and finally decided to join even though I ain't ever been to Tennessee. One of my guns did however travel down to Hillbill's for a bedding job :)

Seems like a smokeless friendly forum. Some might know me from Doug's (45omega) or Modern Muzzleloader. I have a few Rem 700ML .45 smokeless conversions. Two with McGowen and one with a Pacnor barrel. Also have two Slufoot 45-70 conversions. Slufoot does excellent work at a great price!! I know there are a few here that had him work his magic on their barrels. Once the smokeless bug bites there ain't no turning back!

This Pro Hunter 45-70 Slufoot conversion has become my favorite even though I do not shoot heavy loads in it. I keep my sabotless loads in the 2400 fps range. This platform in my opinion makes for a nice light weight, compact smokeless muzzleloader. The pillared / vented forearm is one of Tony Gettel's creations. He makes these from blanks and does excellent work. A little pricey but definitely worth it in my opinion for a great pillared, free float fit.

I do have one more in the making which I have been told will be my favorite. A .392/.400 Pacnor barrel screwed on a Stevens 200 centerfire action. Just waiting on my full form die to arrive so I can size some bullets and light her up.

Welcome to TNDeer 45Omega! Were very smokeless friendly around here (except for a few yahoos) but generally not as high tech as on Doug's. Were more about knocking down whitetails rather than punching paper at 300+ yrds lol.

Fairly new here too and have the smokeless bug bad. I have a stainless Remington ML for my donor receiver and want to move forward with build. My question for the guys that have a Remi what route should I go with having rifle built? I think Luke at Arrowhead Sporting goods assembles rifles and I believe hillbill also assembles rifles which would be best route? Thanks for any help1

Get in touch with Luke as he probably has McGowen barrels in stock with no wait. He will put everything together for you. I am not sure what stock you want to go with but the Boyd's laminated ADL varmint thumbhole stocks are a good choice. Minimal work is required to float the barrel. Boyds finally started to let customers upgrade to a Decellerator recoil pad. If you want to shoot sabotless Luke can check some bores and probably find one that will take the Parker bullets without sizing. The McGowens are excellent sabotless shooters :)

Hillbill does great work and is a great guy. He's probably backed up with builds though. Fastest route is Luke at smokelessmz.com With him having barrels on hand it will save you from waiting about 14-16 weeks.

Good luck!!

smokeless74 said:
Here's my Stevens 200 w/ Pacnor .392/.400 barrel. Finally got my Swinglock full form sizing die. Initial range testing looks very good.

That is a very sharp looking gun. What loads are you running thru it? And what speed?

smokeless74 said:
Here's my Stevens 200 w/ Pacnor .392/.400 barrel. Finally got my Swinglock full form sizing die. Initial range testing looks very good.

Very sharp. Love the stock.

Stock is a B&C Varmint Tactical 4.40 spacing.

I am running 10/60 4759-Varget which is in the low 2700's according to my buddy who just shot his gun today. I shot one group today with 10/58 4759-AA2015 which should be a few hundred FPS faster. My buddy got in the 2900's with 10/56 4759-10X and AA2015 is right in that burn rate area. I am still playing with the Swinglock die for the SST's but found what she likes with the 195 MZ's. No wads either :) Recoil is like a .243.

100yd groups

Since the 195's seem to be doing good at 100yds I shot them at 200.

smokeless74-

I'll try to be brief:

Be careful duplexing with 2015 and 10x in the .40. They would be best shot as single powder loads.

Also, minor point, 2015 and 10x are not close in burn rate.

With the 2015 load, you could drop the 10 gr of 4759 and still be 3-5 grains over where I would be comfortable (I would be guessing, but I wouldn't doubt this load to be over 3k with only 68 grains of powder :eek: )

The 10x load you referenced would be better, but again I would drop the 4759 and keep 10x to 60 grains max.

Stick with the 4759/varget combo if you want to duplex. Your buddies speed for that load is spot on. I got 2,731 with that combo. Varget is hard to beat, but you may also try N140 or RL-15. Keep your total charge to 80gr. (I'm @ 76 gr total. 12/64 N110/Varget for 2,900. I have gone past 3,000 fps @ the 80 level safely, but my load is scary accurate and I don't need another 100 fps)

All of the above is just my opinion- do what you want. Just be careful. FWIW, RB built the first .40, SW built the 2nd, and I built the 3rd. All back in 2007/08 if my memory is correct.

OK, not so brief. Sorry. :)

Good luck-

Judd

Thanks for the info. Yes I am aware of the .40's of a few years ago and what prompted Pacnor to stop making them. Dave D had them bring it back as a .392/.400 to use the Swinglock Fullform Die. I have 8 pounds of Varget so I am set for awhile.

Todays shooting:

BB42D6B9-55AA-457E-96BF-897B14B26F62-270-00000014FD6BC5CD.jpg

My buddies CVA Apex 45/70 recently converted by Slufoot. Just got barrel back yesterday haven't shot it yet....

Latest posts

Back