• Help Support TNDeer:

Merino Wool Thoughts

Have you tried spraying your feet with antiperspirant(not deodorant, different product all together)? It should help your feet to not sweat so much, so they should stay warmer since it is the moisture that's making them colder faster.
Yes I've tried it and just about everything else I've ever heard of. My feet will be cold when it's 80 outside.

I think I have one of those. If the pathfinder is like a big hoody, then that's it. Really nice garment. I normally wear size lg, and that's what I ordered. It's BIG, and the sleeves are way too long, but I make do.

I've read they run big. I'm usually a 2xl so I'm torn on whether to try an XL or a 2xl since it will mainly be an over layer.

I've read they run big. I'm usually a 2xl so I'm torn on whether to try an XL or a 2xl since it will mainly be an over layer.
The issue I ran into...it's plenty big enough for an outer layer, but if windy I want something over it to block wind. I started a thread on here last year about it... looking for possible under layers that were windproof. I probably should have went with a medium and just used as an insulating layer.

I'll put this in the deals in a minute: https://rogerssportinggoods.com/final-approach-acuta-softshell-vest/

$30 for a $120 vest. It is a softshell type that will be pretty windproof. It isn't as warm as a puffy (or a merino top), but, to block the wind over one will be a great combo. I just ordered one, and the sizing was pretty true.

It also has a pretty neat feature of two pockets for handwarmers that are positioned over your kidney area. I suspect adding the handwarmers will make it a pretty cozy deal.

Last edited:
I also ordered one of these a while back when they still had all of their sizes: https://rogerssportinggoods.com/rogers-mens-primal-waterproof-insulated-jacket/

Being on blood thinners now, I can tell the difference in my ability to stay warm. I was looking for something to block the wind and as a plus to be waterproof if needed. It has a bunch of pockets and seems to be well made. It isn't an M50 quality, but, at $39, seems to be a bargain. They still have sizes S-L in stock.

One feature that has some pros and cons is a slit to let a safety harness tether to exit the coat. I taped mine over with camo duct tape as I doubt I will be using that feature and didn't want any water leaks in the rain.

Again, a wind block over merino stuff makes it a lot more effective.

Hollow socks (alpaca wool) and black ovis merino wool medium weight for when it gets cold . I'll wear a lite layer of 32 degree heat most of the time.
When it's really cold with the wind blowing, I'll do both with some wind proof bibs and an old Cabelas wind stopper hoodie.
Boot blankets as well. I have taken my boots off and put the boot blankets on with some hand warmers.
A sleeping bag with had warmers works good too.

Try and get you a decent sleeping bag that's warm. Take off the boots and try some boot warmers with the sleeping bag.
I did that one time but just left the boots on inside the bag. They did stay warm but no idea whatever happened to that sleeping bag. 😬 I don't like carrying a bunch of stuff so that kinda kept me from doing it more. If it was in the teens a bunch I probably would.

#1 - layering. Hands down the best way to regulate temperature. With that being said, i layer with the FL merino light weight top & bottom almost every time I hunt. Will add another later of warmer merinos when temps drop but will use the merinos as described, base layers, then add on my outerwear stuff depending on the temps/wind. Big believer in layering and the merinos help me stay dry. Merino socks too, def merino socks as temps drop b/c my feet dont sweat as much.

All my base layers are polar fleece. I have light-weight, medium-weight and heavy-weight. But I definitely plan on trying Merino wool this year.

All my base layers are polar fleece. I have light-weight, medium-weight and heavy-weight. But I definitely plan on trying Merino wool this year.
All my base layers were polar fleece before last year. I change to the merino wool 250 gram and there is a huge difference. The differences that I noticed right away was less sweating with less weight. I could wear the merino wool all day where I always had to get rid of the polar fleece at lunch when I wore them.

All my base layers were polar fleece before last year. I change to the merino wool 250 gram and there is a huge difference. The differences that I noticed right away was less sweating with less weight. I could wear the merino wool all day where I always had to get rid of the polar fleece at lunch when I wore them.
Interesting DeerMan66. Thanks.

My .02, merino is a great base layer, we all agree on that…but you need airspace/loft to trap heat on top of that for truly cold conditions. Doubling up on merino layers would not be the same in bitter cold.
This exactly!

I can wear one merino wool base layer, then I can get away with cheap after that. I can take two cheap walmart polartech fleece jackets and sandwich them together (if both are even needed) under a cheap windbreaker and I will stay plenty warm for whatever TN has to offer.

Interesting DeerMan66. Thanks.
This is the big difference for me as well. Merino seems to have a better effective range.

My first experience with First Lite merino wool was on a 7 day elk in the San Jose Mountains. We went horseback to a drop camp at 10,000 feet. Snowed the first night and got down to 10 degrees. I never took the pair off that I rode up there with. Stayed warm.
We had rented a hotel room in Durango to shower, get a good nights sleep and get everything loaded for our trip back to Texas. I had to get my son to help me pull the top off cause it seemed to have become a second layer of skin. 😂 My son thought he was going to have to get his knife and cut them off of me. They didn't smell, that is until I took them off. Then they stank. As a base layer they can't be beat. Now I have some lite, medium and heavy weight. I always buy them after season.

I got my first set of merino wool long underwear last year before deer season. I got the 250 gram set. They are very warm and comfortable. I stayed warm in much colder weather than I expected them to keep me warm. They don't make me sweat when I'm walking in and out from my stands. I recently bought a pair of 400 grams. My plan for them is to wear both pairs at the same time to try to eliminate my insulated bibs until it gets down below 25 degrees. What experiences do others have with merino wool?
Firstly you have to decide if you're cold natured or not. I'm permanently hit and that effects my layering.

Your layering system depends on what the wool is made for. Baselayer keeps you warm but doesn't "hold" heat against your body, that's why it's a "base" layer and also why it doesn't affect you as severely whilst walking/hiking. Some stuff has wool but it's intended as an over layer.

I use a tec layer for a baselayer, a warmer merino/poly base layer on top of that than my regular weight hunting pants. If it's cold season, I pack in something to slip over everything once I get into the stand/blind whatever. I also always pack a vest or a light rain jacket in almost every hunt. It seems that when the temp changes I have a tendency to get a little nippy no matter how hot or cold.

I don't like wearing ANYTHING too warm on my person for the walk in. I sweat at the drop of the hat and I get anxious walking in, that causes me to sweat too.Once I start sweating I have trouble keeping my temp under control plus I stink like a water Buffalo. When I leave the truck I want to feel a little cool/cold before I start.

Latest posts

Back