• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Mixed bag/pigs

lol

First time ever planting and it's looking really good.
1000014972.webp

Except for where the pigs ruined about half of what I planted.
1000014973.webp
I'm going to try and thrown down some seed where the pigs dug if we get any more rain but not sure how that'll work with the frost coming next week.

Hate to hear that. I have never had to deal with hogs but feel yall guys that do. My advice is buy either cereal rye or wheat and broadcast (no need to disc ) around 100 pounds per acre through the entire plot. Id hold apply a little extra to the damaged areas. The areas hit hardest by the pigs should actually allow for good seed to soil contact. Wheat or rye will germinate quickly and will be unaffected by the cold. Just need some rain and it will
Be green again

Good advice from both above. Cereal rye will germinate in lower temps than most anything else. Overseeding right in front of rain is key though.

Thankfully, I don't have any experience with hogs but have read that folks in LA & TX have had better success with clover than cereal grain. I'd mix some crimson & red with the rye and give it a try. The clover might not do much this late in year but come on next spring. That would give you a chance to see if they bothered it or not, then adjust accordingly next fall.

Can 2nd cereal rye. It's inexpensive and will germinate all the way into November. Deer love it.

Just make sure not to get rye grass. Might also be called winter rye, or rye grain.

Back