MS Crappie Limit Reduced Due to Livescope

TNLynn

This is a pretty good comparison.

I say make keeping fish illegal with a live scope on board, catch and release only. I mean, we don't use live decoys for ducks anymore, nor 4 gauge shotguns mounted on the front of a kayak poled into a resting raft of birds. We can't use electric shocks to stun fish to the surface and collect them, or dynamite. Or live time drone cameras to follow deer while hunting.

I'm all for using the resources God has given us, but (as several have pointed out) limits need to be put on human greed. When hunters and fishermen abuse the resource for their own benefit at the expense of the resource AND at the expense of their neighbor, they ought to be called to task for it. Livescope, fanning/strutter decoys, cell cameras, spot lighting deer etc need to be taken out of the toolbox of responsible outdoorsmen. It shouldn't take a law or regulation to do that, but unfortunately it seems that is the only thing some will listen to because they are "legalists"…if it's legal, do it.
WELL SAID!!

Mud Creek

Sounds like your experience with them is about like mine. You spend half the time fishing and half the time fiddling with the stupid thing. If you like it then keep at it.

I don't think you can see the forrest from the trees here though man. You love it and nothing is changing your mind. For you if somebody is against them they are either jealous or never used one. Nothing could be further from the truth so it's pointless to debate it. I'm trying to think about this big picture wise and your on some "well IPhone is better than a rotary phone" type stuff. To an extent you're right they are better, but we were all better off in the middle with regular flip phones before Iphones started spying and keeping track of everything we say.😉

The last thing I'll add is if everybody used it the way you do and there are no plans to top it or take it to another level then limits wouldn't be getting reduced. That's just not the case. I hope I'm wrong about all of it. I still won't buy or even want one, but if it doesn't screw fishing up in the future then I say go with God. I will also say that newer boats and electronics are a great thing but this and whatever comes next is just too much and totally unnecessary imo.

Spurhunter

Sounds like your experience with them is about like mine. You spend half the time fishing and half the time fiddling with the stupid thing. If you like it then keep at it.

I don't think you can see the forrest from the trees here though man. You love it and nothing is changing your mind. For you if somebody is against them they are either jealous or never used one. Nothing could be further from the truth so it's pointless to debate it. I'm trying to think about this big picture wise and your on some "well IPhone is better than a rotary phone" type stuff. To an extent you're right they are better, but we were all better off in the middle with regular flip phones before Iphones started spying and keeping track of everything we say.😉

The last thing I'll add is if everybody used it the way you do and there are no plans to top it or take it to another level then limits wouldn't be getting reduced. That's just not the case. I hope I'm wrong about all of it. I still won't buy or even want one, but if it doesn't screw fishing up in the future then I say go with God. I will also say that newer boats and electronics are a great thing but this and whatever comes next is just too much and totally unnecessary imo.
You sure make a lot of assumptions about someone you've never met. I've never even owned an iPhone. My whole point is who gets to decide where to draw the line on technology? You? Who died and made you king? I know guys that are magicians with side imaging but think LS is evil spawned by Satan. Why do they get to decide what's a bridge too far? I'm just saying if you (or anybody else) is anti-technology, put your money where your mouth is. Get rid of that boat, side imaging, outboard motor, flourocarbon line, ultra quiet trolling motor, modern reels with a dozen ball bearings and braking systems, etc., etc., etc.

Sako

I sure am glad I do not eat crappie... sounds like such a mess. I for one am amazed at what some people will do for a crappie. I live on Melton Hill and have a boat dock... Across the small cove (where my boat dock is) is a downed tree that is known to hold crappie... Every year I wonder if someone is going to be shot on it. I regularly see people fish is almost all day long at the right time of year. I also see when one person is on it, another will come up to it and try to fish the same tree at the same time... often to arguing. I have seen it where there were three boats on one time on it... The people are so worried about catching their crappie they sometimes lose their minds and all manners... This itself is a major factor in what causes problems...

megalomaniac

I guess the question is... how are the fishermen doing WITHOUT livescope on Grenada and the other Corp lakes? Has the quality/ success plummeted for them? Has it gotten to the point where you HAVE to have it now to keep up with the majority who now are using it?

Back in the 90s, folks I knew who fished Grenada were filling the boat with just a $99 hummingbird graph.

Spurhunter

I guess the question is... how are the fishermen doing WITHOUT livescope on Grenada and the other Corp lakes? Has the quality/ success plummeted for them? Has it gotten to the point where you HAVE to have it now to keep up with the majority who now are using it?

Back in the 90s, folks I knew who fished Grenada were filling the boat with just a $99 hummingbird graph.
I can catch crappie year round without LS by spider rigging and/or pulling crankbaits, but it is boooooring. Single poling with LS is a blast. Watching the fish react to the bait, feeling the thump, setting the hook, and fighting the fish is so much more fun than swinging a fish in the boat that was hooked by a rod in a rod holder or reeling in a fish that hit a crankbait and skis on top of the water all the way to the boat like an old shoe.

Spurhunter

I sure am glad I do not eat crappie... sounds like such a mess. I for one am amazed at what some people will do for a crappie. I live on Melton Hill and have a boat dock... Across the small cove (where my boat dock is) is a downed tree that is known to hold crappie... Every year I wonder if someone is going to be shot on it. I regularly see people fish is almost all day long at the right time of year. I also see when one person is on it, another will come up to it and try to fish the same tree at the same time... often to arguing. I have seen it where there were three boats on one time on it... The people are so worried about catching their crappie they sometimes lose their minds and all manners... This itself is a major factor in what causes problems...
That's the great thing about white crappie. They don't school up and they like open water. You might find an area with a higher concentration of fish, but they won't be in a "spot".

redblood

• Uh
  • Everybody wants the easiest way. Livescope, fanning, bait plus cell cam plus thermal, just whatever is easiest.
    you are correct. i think a lot of it stems from the fact that we have less time than previous generations due to lifes demands. And we all strive to reach success in the most timely manner as possible. Livescope /active target/ mega live allow us to do that. But no doubt it will out added stress on the resource, especially in crowded lakes. We caught 2 limits of crappie last Monday and didnt see another boat on the lake . But it isnt s popular lake we were on. KY lake, reelfoot, sardis, granada etc- thise lake will be hit harder because they are the "in" place to fish. I like remote scenic lakes without crowds

MickThompson

• Uh

• you are correct. i think a lot of it stems from the fact that we have less time than previous generations due to lifes demands. And we all strive to reach success in the most timely manner as possible. Livescope /active target/ mega live allow us to do that. But no doubt it will out added stress on the resource, especially in crowded lakes. We caught 2 limits of crappie last Monday and didnt see another boat on the lake . But it isnt s popular lake we were on. KY lake, reelfoot, sardis, granada etc- thise lake will be hit harder because they are the "in" place to fish. I like remote scenic lakes without crowds
And ego. We have discussed the evils of social media for hunting and I submit that the same applies here.

Mud Creek

You sure make a lot of assumptions about someone you've never met. I've never even owned an iPhone. My whole point is who gets to decide where to draw the line on technology? You? Who died and made you king? I know guys that are magicians with side imaging but think LS is evil spawned by Satan. Why do they get to decide what's a bridge too far? I'm just saying if you (or anybody else) is anti-technology, put your money where your mouth is. Get rid of that boat, side imaging, outboard motor, flourocarbon line, ultra quiet trolling motor, modern reels with a dozen ball bearings and braking systems, etc., etc., etc.

Brother I'm not meaning to get personal and I apologize if something I said came across that way. The iPhone comparison was just meant to show the traditional vs new argument. We are on 2 totally different sides of this argument. I think LS is taking us down a road that we should not be going down but soooo many people are fascinated by it that I'm afraid it will take shooting ourselves in the foot before we realize it's a mistake. I am not God nor am I an authority figure on crappie. I'm also not a weatherman but I can still tell you which way the wind blows. Maybe a rhodes scholar can get on here and say it better than me lol idk.

I do not think this is what's best for the fish, the fisherman, or the sport of fishing as a whole. Maybe for you personally or somebody else it's awesome and harmless but I see this bringing trouble down the road. Time will tell.

Spurhunter

Brother I'm not meaning to get personal and I apologize if something I said came across that way. The iPhone comparison was just meant to show the traditional vs new argument. We are on 2 totally different sides of this argument. I think LS is taking us down a road that we should not be going down but soooo many people are fascinated by it that I'm afraid it will take shooting ourselves in the foot before we realize it's a mistake. I am not God nor am I an authority figure on crappie. I'm also not a weatherman but I can still tell you which way the wind blows. Maybe a rhodes scholar can get on here and say it better than me lol idk.

I do not think this is what's best for the fish, the fisherman, or the sport of fishing as a whole. Maybe for you personally or somebody else it's awesome and harmless but I see this bringing trouble down the road. Time will tell.
It's all good brother. This is a hot button issue like the one buck limit. People get passionate about their views. I agree that there are definite problems and it's not "real" fishing, but the technology is here and we can't stop it. And man is it fun. Like I said above, it beats the heck out of spider rigging and pulling cranks on the fun scale.

fairchaser

I wish all the "livescope experts" that have never used livescope, yet think it's automatic could come sit in my chair, run the trolling motor, fight the wind, keep the fish on the screen, make an accurate pitch to the fish, put the bait in the strike zone, and put the fish in the boat. It's not as easy as you've been told, and it's certainly not automatic.

Furthermore, we are seeing fish are adapting to livescope. In the early days of LS, a crappie would sit still and you could fish for him as long as you wanted as long as you didn't touch him with your jig. Then they got a little spooky and if you bumped your trolling motor too close or made noise in the boat he would run. Now we are finding that you can coast to the fish, never make a sound, and never bump the motor, and the fish will spook off just the boat approaching. Also, fish used to look up when the bait hit the water. Now, if that bait makes much noise at all, they spook. I know it sounds crazy but they are learning and adapting to being hounded by boats.
X 100, exactly. Just like mature deer avoid cameras and older ducks avoid robo ducks, crappie will learn to avoid oddly presented jigs bouncing above their nose, especially when it's chasing them.

redblood

Om m o ed hkm

M

It's all good brother. This is a hot button issue like the one buck limit. People get passionate about their views. I agree that there are definite problems and it's not "real" fishing, but the technology is here and we can't stop it. And man is it fun. Like I said above, it beats the heck out of spider rigging and pulling cranks on the fun scale.
i agree. Its here and its not going away. And its perfectly fine if state game agencies need to adjust regulations/limits to help the resource keep up. I also agree nothing is more boring that trolling for crappie, even though it can be effective and spider rigging is a close second. I cant sit down and watch the screen. I never watch the crappie hit the bait. I just need to see them on a brush pile or a blown down and see how far away they are. We fish 2 pound line on ultra lights and love making a long cast and focusing on the bite. But thats the great thing about crappie. So many different ways to catch em.

Pilchard

Furthermore, we are seeing fish are adapting to livescope. In the early days of LS, a crappie would sit still and you could fish for him as long as you wanted as long as you didn't touch him with your jig. Then they got a little spooky and if you bumped your trolling motor too close or made noise in the boat he would run. Now we are finding that you can coast to the fish, never make a sound, and never bump the motor, and the fish will spook off just the boat approaching. Also, fish used to look up when the bait hit the water. Now, if that bait makes much noise at all, they spook. I know it sounds crazy but they are learning and adapting to being hounded by boats.

This tells me everything I need to know.

If the fish have changed their behavior that dramatically due to the use of the technology, it's not a good thing.