• Help Support TNDeer:

My strangest fish ever

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Granted I don't fish rivers or streams very often and my exact words were "what the heck have I caught?"

I had to text scn and ask him what I had caught.
I was kinda scared to touch it. LOL

Stone Roller is what he said it was.
Dang dinosaur fish if you ask me.

Man, scn must need to go back to Tech for a remedial ichthyology refresher... ;)

It's a redtail chub, Nocomis effusus. Stonerollers don't have that red spot behind the eye, have smaller scales, and have already lost their tubercles - they spawn much earlier than the two species of Nocomis chubs in Tennessee do.

choupique":2z479n2z said:
Man, scn must need to go back to Tech for a remedial ichthyology refresher... ;)

It's a redtail chub, Nocomis effusus. Stonerollers don't have that red spot behind the eye, have smaller scales, and have already lost their tubercles - they spawn much earlier than the two species of Nocomis chubs in Tennessee do.
good point, I thought something didn't look right. I've caught breeding stonerollers in a cast net before and it was somewhere around March not June.

Sent from the talk of tap

Didn't there used to be an artificial bait company called "Creek Chub"?

Didn't know that pic was what they really looked like.

Ah, males pick up stones and roll them away to create a breeding nest. Stone rollers.

choupique":34uby1n0 said:

Since it has been forty years since I took Dr. Etnier's class, I'm happy to just get close.

To the defense of scn, he may or may not have gotten the picture that showed the red dot.

I don't remember which one I sent him.

Latest posts

Back