Food Plots New food plots

hunter7272

Hey guys I'm fixing to doze out some new plots in my woods about 5 acres in total over 3 new plots. What do you guys think I should plant this summer to keep the soil together and so it doesn't erode to bad until I can get my fall plots in this fall. Most of the plots will be either in clover or a fall annual mix so can't plant clover right away because it will never make it in this summer heat. Just wanting something to make it until first of September!

DoubleRidge

Agree with @fulldraw.....buckwheat has great germination, isnt overly picky about soil quality, grows fast and will shade out allot of weed competition.....deer will browse lightly in the summer but they wont mow it down....let it go to seed and the turkey & dove will love it....also it adds organic material for soil building...its not cheap, but its come down in price some...good luck with your project.

BSK

Buckwheat is a great choice. If you want to get really serious, and are NOT planning on tilling the plots this fall, look at Sunn Hemp. In newly bulldozed food plots that were concrete hard red clay, I grew Sunn Hemp 12-feet tall the first year. Downside is, it's hemp; i.e. rope. You CANNOT till it as it will just tie up the tiller something terrible. But talk about amazing green manure to broadcast fall seed into... Wow.

TNTreeman

All above are great options and I'll add I've grown beans and peas in junky soil . Deer mow em down if your numbers are high and weeds will grow in amongst them to help with erosion.

BSK

This is Sunn Hemp growing and after bushhogging. And this was a bare-dirt, freshly bulldozed plot just before planting.

Attachments

• plots34.jpg
    plots34.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 49
  • plots36.jpg
    plots36.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 48

JCDEERMAN

Buckwheat would be my pick. And while it is still standing this fall, you could walk through it and broadcast your fall seed (maybe wheat and crimson clover). Once fall seed is spread, I'd roll it down or drag a log to flatten it (be best if you have an cultipacker) and then spray it.

hunter7272

This is Sunn Hemp growing and after bushhogging. And this was a bare-dirt, freshly bulldozed plot just before planting.
That's exactly what I need! I don't disk at all I rent a drill from co op and drill all my seeds so I'm going to drill a mix of everything above and hope I get some rain and then terminate that stuff in the fall and plant my fall blend!

Latest posts