• Help Support TNDeer:

New prop ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I have to buy a new prop.
I haven't figured out what pitch etc mine is as of yet.

My motor is just a tab bit small for my boat but for where I fish it isn't really a problem.
It will get on plane but it takes it a while. :)
If it has more than 2 people on it, well it don't.

Is there anything, pitch / size wise that I can get that would help this without losing alot of top end speed?
Not that it will run 50 or nothing but when I am fishing where I can make a wake I would like to lose as little top end as possible?

If not I will just go with what it has now and be done with it.

Thanks.

No, any lower pitch than what you have will lose top end. I would rather have the torque than top end. Just how much time will 5 mph make for you? Probably not much. Drop 2 degrees of pitch and I suspect you will be happier overall.

Hozzie":3os8i2fb said:
Drop 2 degrees of pitch and I suspect you will be happier overall.

What will that do?
Sorry but I am very ignorant of such things. :D
Well, of alot of things but...........

Decreasing pitch (lower number) will give you more hole shot/torque. Increasing pitch (higher number) will give you more top end, but will make it harder to plane the boat. Your current prop should have a model number and/or pitch on it.

What kind of boat and motor is involved? Sometimes you can also go from a 3 blade prop to 4 blade to help some.

Hozzie":2247urvl said:
Decreasing pitch (lower number) will give you more hole shot/torque. Increasing pitch (higher number) will give you more top end, but will make it harder to plane the boat. Your current prop should have a model number and/or pitch on it.

What kind of boat and motor is involved? Sometimes you can also go from a 3 blade prop to 4 blade to help some.

1985 Bass Tracker Guide V 16
2014 Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke.

Like Hozzie said, the lower the pitch, the lower your final gear ratio. It's the same reason drag racers put 4.11 gears in their cars instead of 3.55. More torque and faster holeshot. It would really be nice if you had a local prop shop that would let you test some used props. If not, always keep the same diameter and drop it 2 on pitch and you should be happy. You will lose some top speed, but you probably won't even notice.

Back