• Help Support TNDeer:

New respect for woodyard

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have enough experience to know it is harder to fish and run a boat than it is to fish and ride in a boat.
However if you really want a lesson on this go to a river and run a 16 foot v bottom boat and try to fish.
I was a nervous wreck the entire time and my buddy got ill at me because I wasn't fishing. I was too busy trying to avoid trees the banks and big rocks to worry about fishing! Lol
Went from the ramp to where we wanted to start our drift down river and made notes as to where to run and where the hidden rocks were.
Hit a couple but nothing too bad.
The next morning we apparently got off our route just a little.
The result sucked.
First damage my pride and joy has ever had.
I apologized to her but I think she is still mad at me.
River boats are made like they are for a reason too.
She did good but has way too much drag and sets way too low in the water.
But you learn from experience and with experience comes wisdom however that wisdom sometimes comes from bad decisions and with a price. :)
074e1a1ff25927ddc823dd42b59f79cb.jpg

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Running a boat in a river is much harder than it looks, and Terry is a master at it. And, I bet he would tell you that it wasn't easy for him the first time out, either. Hope nothing is bent besides the prop! Glad to see you and Ken getting out again.

Aw shucks, Ruger, I have hit my share of rocks over there.

I hate that you damaged it that bad.
I use the rock hopper when it gets pretty low. It has saved a lot of props. Actually I have had more damage most of the time from running into the gravel. Did you see Mr Lindsey's collection of props when we were there? Several ground down to the hub nearly.

That time that it rained so much and we couldn't get back to His Place because the water was over the road put the river to running chocolate. We decided to put in at the White Hole ramp and run up to the dam the next morning to be in clear water. The only problem the next morning was it was chocolate at the White Hole. We unloaded and all the guides were unloading and we all kept waiting. Finally Crestliner and I decided it was time to do something although I had never been on that part of the river ,so I started up and easing my way up river. I looked around and the guides were lined up coming behind me. One hollered and said they was following me. I thought what the crap , I ain't ever been here before and they are gonna follow me. I hope they were just kidding. :lol:

We did make it alright and I learned a lot about big browns that morning.

Tell Ken he is captain next time.

woodyard":23aaxhz0 said:
Aw shucks, Ruger, I have hit my share of rocks over there.

I hate that you damaged it that bad.
I use the rock hopper when it gets pretty low. It has saved a lot of props. Actually I have had more damage most of the time from running into the gravel. Did you see Mr Lindsey's collection of props when we were there? Several ground down to the hub nearly.

That time that it rained so much and we couldn't get back to His Place because the water was over the road put the river to running chocolate. We decided to put in at the White Hole ramp and run up to the dam the next morning to be in clear water. The only problem the next morning was it was chocolate at the White Hole. We unloaded and all the guides were unloading and we all kept waiting. Finally Crestliner and I decided it was time to do something although I had never been on that part of the river ,so I started up and easing my way up river. I looked around and the guides were lined up coming behind me. One hollered and said they was following me. I thought what the crap , I ain't ever been here before and they are gonna follow me. I hope they were just kidding. [emoji38]

We did make it alright and I learned a lot about big browns that morning.

Tell Ken he is captain next time.
He put out several feelers while we were there. He is buying a river boat now. Lol

scn":1j2e2b8i said:
Running a boat in a river is much harder than it looks, and Terry is a master at it. And, I bet he would tell you that it wasn't easy for him the first time out, either. Hope nothing is bent besides the prop! Glad to see you and Ken getting out again.
Yes without a doubt he is.
He can run the boat, get me unsnagged AND outfish me all at the save time. Beats all I ever seen.

Maybe I need to sell him mine and we can go with him. :D

On another note I think I finally found the X-Rings to fix the tilt-trim unit I hope. The manufacturer of the unit will not sell parts . They only want to sell refurbished units for about $280.00. They can make a good bit of profit on those with a 40 cent X ring seal. The cheapest new unit I have found is $369.00.

woodyard":3j4c661u said:
Maybe I need to sell him mine and we can go with him. :D

On another note I think I finally found the X-Rings to fix the tilt-trim unit I hope. The manufacturer of the unit will not sell parts . They only want to sell refurbished units for about $280.00. They can make a good bit of profit on those with a 40 cent X ring seal. The cheapest new unit I have found is $369.00.

That is a pretty crappy deal right there.
I hope you found them!

Put the trim unit back together this morning. I ran it up and down a lot and no leaks.

That is ashamed a company operates that way. They ought to be making enough money on selling the new unit to you.
Most people would be too intimidated to tear into it and would buy the new or rebuilt unit.

I went to two places hunting the X ring , no luck. I finally found a place on the net that would retail o- rings and the X ring in the size I needed. Bought enough to take care of it for a few years. :lol:

Looked like mine after a trip to the Caney this summer. I knew the river but made a dumb mistake pulling off of a sandbar. I ended up with a bent prop shaft also. May want to check that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back