• Help Support TNDeer:

New to hunting TN, seeking advice

Jakeh

Hi, I'm gonna be down here for the upcoming bow season, I saddle hunt mostly and was seeking some advice because this is the first I've ever hunted here. I'm from PA and do a lot of bow hunting up that way and have had some good luck. The property I got permission on is a lot of heavy thick stuff, there's some open clearings and such but it's all mostly smaller cedars. Any recommendations on how to hunt that? Thanks! Middle TN

Biggest difference you'll notice is vegetation. There are a few different types of oaks you wouldn't likely see in PA, but most notable will be the privet thickets. It's an invasive bush that stays green year round and forms thickers so thick it's almost like its own ecosystem. Animals of all variety take cover in privet, including deer. They're mostly along fence rows, creeks, roadsides, etc. Otherwise the hunting is not much different than up north. Deer are smaller but plenty of them. Good luck!

Agree with what Ski said. Also, having hunted both PA and TN myself, when you see one- Yes, that is a full size buck that isn't even as big as the does in PA 🤣

BT

The best advice I could give on new hunting property in any state is to buy 2 Moultrie cell cams for $79 and for $12 apiece get unlimited photos on what's actually there. If you get no pics after a bit, move the cameras. You'll either see where the deer are or you'll see there's no deer there and not waste your time.

I'm on year 2 with these cams and they hold 16 batteries, but they only need 8. If you put 16 in they'll run the first 8 dead and automatically change to the second 8. I buy the 18pk of AAs at Harbor freight and get about 10 mos per pack and about 1000 pics per cam per month. Make sure you buy the BLUE batteries at HF not the yellow or the orange. If you're a club member they're $4.99/pack and $7.49 if you're not.

I went with Moultrie because I'm on Verizon but my hunting property has spotty coverage at best. These cams continuously go with whatever carrier has the strongest signal at the moment and no contract. Start and stop each month if you want.

The best advice I could give on new hunting property in any state is to buy 2 Moultrie cell cams for $79 and for $12 apiece get unlimited photos on what's actually there. If you get no pics after a bit, move the cameras. You'll either see where the deer are or you'll see there's no deer there and not waste your time.

I'm on year 2 with these cams and they hold 16 batteries, but they only need 8. If you put 16 in they'll run the first 8 dead and automatically change to the second 8. I buy the 18pk of AAs at Harbor freight and get about 10 mos per pack and about 1000 pics per cam per month. Make sure you buy the BLUE batteries at HF not the yellow or the orange. If you're a club member they're $4.99/pack and $7.49 if you're not.

I went with Moultrie because I'm on Verizon but my hunting property has spotty coverage at best. These cams continuously go with whatever carrier has the strongest signal at the moment and no contract. Start and stop each month if you want.
interesting about the batteries

Hi, I'm gonna be down here for the upcoming bow season, I saddle hunt mostly and was seeking some advice because this is the first I've ever hunted here. I'm from PA and do a lot of bow hunting up that way and have had some good luck. The property I got permission on is a lot of heavy thick stuff, there's some open clearings and such but it's all mostly smaller cedars. Any recommendations on how to hunt that? Thanks! Middle TN
Fire Cmt GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

Latest posts

Back