• Help Support TNDeer:

New to Tennessee

Hi folks,

I'm new to Tennessee and new to this forum. Hope to get out and hunt in Tennessee this fall, but having to learn the new rules and regs and scouting for places to hunt on Public Land in the Spring Hill region.

Archery hunting is archery hunting, so it isn't so much to learn except I've been surprised by a few things. You have to hang your stand the day you hunt and take it out at the end of the day? Man, that's quite a change from Michigan where you hang your stand a few days to a few weeks before the opener and leave it up until the season is done.

I've never had to be fast or quiet hanging a stand, but I can't imagine doing it in the dark at 4:00AM. Does everyone just hunt afternoons? Personally, I like to hunt mornings so I can find my deer during the daytime.

And as far as scouting goes, I've been looking around quite a bit and see very little evidence of other public land hunters. In Michigan you find stands as well as orange tape nearby. I walked several hundred acres yesterday and only found two examples of tape in the woods.

Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

Richard
Welcome to the campfire!

Nice photos!

I'm pretty far from lazy, but I don't like digging holes just to fill them in!
a couple of things. I moved back here 4 years ago, so I am still locating hunting grounds.

Stands: Climber or Saddle. Be mobile. Be Quiet.
Location, location, location: Go in DEEP go in Earlier than most. Most wont hike in far, and will ultimately push them to you.
Public land: While there are no longer larger tracts of timber land, there are very large tracts of public as well, i.e. LBL, Cheatham, etc. Find those small pockets of public, be there early, be there first. From Early Turkey, to archery season, be the first one packing out of the parking lot.
Cart: IF you get a good climber... look at the Sherpa conversion. I love mine. PAck the climber in, with the Sherpa. Hunt, shoot, kill, etc. Then convert the climber into a cart. Some us a jet sled to good affect. There are multiple ways to get an animal out of the woods.

Latest posts

Back