• Help Support TNDeer:

New to Tennessee

Galloway840

Hi folks,

I'm new to Tennessee and new to this forum. Hope to get out and hunt in Tennessee this fall, but having to learn the new rules and regs and scouting for places to hunt on Public Land in the Spring Hill region.

Archery hunting is archery hunting, so it isn't so much to learn except I've been surprised by a few things. You have to hang your stand the day you hunt and take it out at the end of the day? Man, that's quite a change from Michigan where you hang your stand a few days to a few weeks before the opener and leave it up until the season is done.

I've never had to be fast or quiet hanging a stand, but I can't imagine doing it in the dark at 4:00AM. Does everyone just hunt afternoons? Personally, I like to hunt mornings so I can find my deer during the daytime.

And as far as scouting goes, I've been looking around quite a bit and see very little evidence of other public land hunters. In Michigan you find stands as well as orange tape nearby. I walked several hundred acres yesterday and only found two examples of tape in the woods.

Thanks for any recommendations you may have.

Richard

Recommendation #1: Vote red or go back. Sorry to be rude but we're all a bit fed up with folks moving in trying to make TN like the place they left.
Look, I'm as red as any of you, but I try to keep most of my online politics to Twitter!

As far as hunting and trying to make things more like where people come from and such... I find there are a lot of good and bad hunting regulations in every state. I didn't fish much in MI due to the complex rules (for a guy who can't differentiate b/w fish very well). I wouldn't import their fishing regs anywhere!

From the TN website it says something like, "TN WRA assumes any tree-stand left in the woods will be considered abandoned and removed" (or similar language).

So I was kind of wondering what everyone who hunts public land does.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

IMG_0335.webp
IMG_1352.webp
IMG_5092.webp
IMG_4968.webp
IMG_1438.webp
Don't be lazy. carry your stand in like a man and carry it back out at the end of your hunt with your deer thrown on top! Or drop your stand in your truck or corolla, and then go back with a sled and drag your deer out. Or you can do a gutless method and put it in a backpack.

Sometimes carts are good and sometimes dragging a deer back to the boat works too.

View attachment 248180View attachment 248181View attachment 248182View attachment 248183View attachment 248184Don't be lazy. carry your stand in like a man and carry it back out at the end of your hunt with your deer thrown on top! Or drop your stand in your truck or corolla, and then go back with a sled and drag your deer out. Or you can do a gutless method and put it in a backpack.

Sometimes carts are good and sometimes dragging a deer back to the boat works too.

Nice photos!

I'm pretty far from lazy, but I don't like digging holes just to fill them in!

Nice photos!

I'm pretty far from lazy, but I don't like digging holes just to fill them in!
public can be challenging. Getting deer out can be difficult too. There's tons of ways to do it and every situation might make one way or another make more sense. Oh and another way i did not mention is buying a case of beer for a buddy with a 4 wheeler, or down here we say (fo whilla). A case of beer is way cheaper than actually buying and storing a 4 wheeler.

That gutless method and packing them out is something new for me I added last season. I can see myself using that more and more the older i get.

Two years ago, I shot a nice-sized 8 and called up all of my hunting buddies to help me come drag it out (we were deep), and the only guy I could get was my non-hunting buddy that I share venison with. And he was like, "man, I had no idea it was this hard." I like the cart idea, may need to invest in one.

It's not the deer dragging I need advice on though, mainly the tree-stand hanging and pulling on a daily-basis. I need a better/lighter setup than I got for that!

Latest posts

Back