• Help Support TNDeer:

Oh boy

Mag

2-Step Enabled
IMG_3615.webp

They have exploded on my places past 3 years. I guess from removing most of the coyotes. Hunters have killed 5 from the stands past 2 years while deer hunting.on my farms. 20 years ago that would have been impossible, as there just weren't many.

They have exploded on my places past 3 years. I guess from removing most of the coyotes.
A big reduction in coyotes may very well be why your bobcat population exploded.

A few years ago we had some professional trappers declare war on the coyotes. A couple years later the bobcat population increased at least four-fold. The trappers then started making their sets specifically for bobcats, and trapped more bobcats in one season than the prior three.

Pick your poison.
If you greatly reduce the coyotes, you get more bobcats.
I've about given up, and thinking best thing is to focus on habitat.

Actually not giving up on trapping & killing to help keep predators from overpopulating, just realizing that we will never get rid of coyotes, and their reduction on one hand can create an increase of other predators.

I'm near equally concerned with predation on turkeys as deer, and believe bobcats are worse for turkeys. Fewer coyotes may also mean more raccoons.

A big reduction in coyotes may very well be why your bobcat population exploded.

A few years ago we had some professional trappers declare war on the coyotes. A couple years later the bobcat population increased at least four-fold. The trappers then started making their sets specifically for bobcats, and trapped more bobcats in one season than the prior three.

Pick your poison.
If you greatly reduce the coyotes, you get more bobcats.
I've about given up, and thinking best thing is to focus on habitat.

Actually not giving up on trapping & killing to help keep predators from overpopulating, just realizing that we will never get rid of coyotes, and their reduction on one hand can create an increase of other predators.

I'm near equally concerned with predation on turkeys as deer, and believe bobcats are worse for turkeys. Fewer coyotes may also mean more raccoons.
We have turned predator hunting into a year round sport, filling the gaps between deer and turkey.

Bobcats are much easier to call in with prey distress than coyotes some months (when coyotes are denning).

Coons haven't been much of a problem on my farms except for the years we have corn row crop. And they are easy to call in and kill as well.

I guess what I'm saying is NOTHING gets a free pass if it eats the stuff enjoy hunting on my TN land. We hit them hard and all year long.

But I get what you are saying... Predators will fill the void... in MS on my lease, we have a few coyotes. Not many. But we waste 1500lbs of shelled corn in feeders. So it's normal to have 8 to 10 coons on each feeder until they are empty. Not much chance for a hen to hatch a clutch in those conditions.

Killed 3 last year on my place. One with crossbow and caught 2 during trapping season. I know of at least 2 more that were still alive at the end of trapping season. That's just on 27 acres. I love the game of trying to trap them.

I've never had a desire to kill a bobcat. Coyotes on the other hand I'll ruin a good deer hunt trying to get a shot.
I feel the same way, my Wife asked me what I would do if I saw one and I said, not sure probably just enjoy watching it.

Back