• Help Support TNDeer:

Optima batteries

Spurhunter

Anybody use them? My cranking battery died yesterday. I am seriously considering an Optima Bluetop. Instead of running 1 cranking and 2 deep cycle I could go with 2 of the light grey combination cranking/trolling and eliminate one battery and a lot of pounds. Just not warm and fuzzy about my alternator charging a deep cycle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In my opinion I would keep your starting battery separate from the trolling battery set up ... That way you do not run them down to much to start your engine...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Re: Optima batteries

Aquaholic":183cjwgm said:
In my opinion I would keep your starting battery separate from the trolling battery set up ... That way you do not run them down to much to start your engine...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
I considered that also. Could leave me in a bad spot.

I run 3 of the 31s. I like them. I run two 9" helix units a 7" Raymarine and a 15" solix on my cranking battery along with bilge and livewell pumps. The cranking battery will get a little low after 7hrs of continuous use with everything running but that's to be expected with that much pulling off of one battery. I need to start putting my units in standby mode when not in use. It's never left me stranded though. My 24 volt ultrex never slows down fishing daylight to dark.

FTG-05":2u5g5jvg said:
No! I've had six of them before I learned. Mexico POS. Do not buy!
I've had bad luck with them as well. The first few I ran were made here in the states. The last pair were made elsewhere and they didn't compare at all.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

TRIGGER":3tobjwue said:
FTG-05":3tobjwue said:

What about them do you not like?

Prematurely dying. Yellow tops, the most expensive, only have a one year warranty, the Red Tops I think 3 years. All mine failed just out of warranty. Never again.

FTG-05":2mztfgn2 said:
TRIGGER":2mztfgn2 said:
FTG-05":2mztfgn2 said:

What about them do you not like?

Prematurely dying. Yellow tops, the most expensive, only have a one year warranty, the Red Tops I think 3 years. All mine failed just out of warranty. Never again.

Sure hate to hear that. I have had great success out of a red top in my 79 jeep farm truck and the blue tops in my last two boats. I just bought three new ones last month for my boat. The old ones were 3.5 years old and had been run hard. I had a light come on on my onboard charger telling me I had a bad battery. Being used like mine get used it wasn't much of a surprise so like an idiot I didn't even get them tested just replaced all 3. Well after putting the new ones in the next morning I still the same light on. It was a bad charger not batteries. But oh well I have brand new batteries for the Fishing season lol.

Thanks guys. After further review I am going to buy a regular marine cranking battery. I would love to eliminate a battery and have all the weight savings of 2 optimas but I don't want to risk getting stranded with 2 dead batteries and no designated cranking battery.

Pilchard":3ur0qhfg said:
Is there a place on your boat to put the third battery that would use the weight to your advantage?
From a speed standpoint more weight is never an advantage. As far as balance or planing out the 3 batteries in the transom work out just right. I was just hoping to go to 2 Optimas in place of 3 heavy batteries to shed a bunch of weight.

true on the weight part for speed but I lost the need for speed a long time ago... in my experience, the best bang for your buck on marine batteries is at Walmart or sams club. I've used them all in various boats and can't see enough difference in performance to justify the additional cost.

Spurhunter":1eewd7kw said:
Pilchard":1eewd7kw said:
Is there a place on your boat to put the third battery that would use the weight to your advantage?
From a speed standpoint more weight is never an advantage. As far as balance or planing out the 3 batteries in the transom work out just right. I was just hoping to go to 2 Optimas in place of 3 heavy batteries to shed a bunch of weight.

Just buy you a couple lithium ion batteries. And me too while your at it lol

Pilchard":11wuix2t said:
true on the weight part for speed but I lost the need for speed a long time ago

My boat is a 17.5 foot aluminum with a 115 and the best I've achieved is 55.1 mph so it isn't a speed demon. It's about optimization and efficiency for me. I do love to go fast on the water though. :tu:

Pilchard":2nj73jh3 said:
in my experience, the best bang for your buck on marine batteries is at Walmart or sams club. I've used them all in various boats and can't see enough difference in performance to justify the additional cost.

I currently have 3 Everstart batteries in my boat. I've had good luck with them as well.

Spurhunter":1qg3a81t said:
TRIGGER":1qg3a81t said:
Just buy you a couple lithium ion batteries. And me too while your at it lol

I priced them this morning. Wow! I'd have more in 3 batteries than the boat is worth!

Come on man I was counting on you to find a good deal on 6 of them lol. Those things are outrageous.

If I were you guys, buy one of those lithium ion jump starters to keep in your boat. I was 2 miles from weigh in once and had 20 minutes till I had to check in. Went to crank up to head in and cranking battery was low. Tried jumping off from the trolling motor batteries but no luck. Got lucky and see another boat. They came over and gave us a jump. Never go out without a jumpbox in the boat anymore.

Latest posts

Back