• Help Support TNDeer:

Parksville Trout

FLTENNHUNTER1

So when they stock trout during the winter, do the fish migrate to a certain area of the lake? Where do they go in the summertime when the water temps are at or above 80 degrees?

Ok, you're going to have to educate me on this. As water temps rise, dissolved O content decreases. We don't have trout in west tn due to lack of cold water BUT TWRA stocks in the winter as temps are down, O is up. So what am I missing..not being smart but truly interested. I learned that in fisheries and have taught it for years AND don't want to put out false info to the kiddos.
Thanks

Ok, you're going to have to educate me on this. As water temps rise, dissolved O content decreases. We don't have trout in west tn due to lack of cold water BUT TWRA stocks in the winter as temps are down, O is up. So what am I missing..not being smart but truly interested. I learned that in fisheries and have taught it for years AND don't want to put out false info to the kiddos.
Thanks
Parksville is a mountain lake in extreme southeast Tennessee with several cold water streams flowing into it including it's source, the Ocoee river. A lot of the lake will warm up in the summer but there are numerous places in the lake where the water stays cold with plenty of current and oxygen. You can't compare it to the winter stockings in the western (or even middle) parts of the state.

Makes sense. We flatlanders don't know nothing about them parts! I do know they'e about to stock a pond relatively near me very soon. I would imagine they need a day or two to get acclimated before they bite but I'm no fisherman.

Don't use rooster tails.
Don't use rooster tails, don't use rooster tails, don't use rooster tails
Mesmerizing Black And White GIF by xponentialdesign

lol there is holdover trout over here, well on the border of west tn. also have yellow bellies, aka yellow perch.
Thanks
we have hold over trout in one or two creeks fairly close to west tn. also have yellow perch.

The only local "lake" that I fish for them at they seem to just move around constantly.
It is small, maybe 10-12 acres, not sure.
About the first of May they begin to die and by June they are all belly up.
I love catching them while they are there though.

Parksville is a mountain lake in extreme southeast Tennessee with several cold water streams flowing into it including it's source, the Ocoee river. A lot of the lake will warm up in the summer but there are numerous places in the lake where the water stays cold with plenty of current and oxygen. You can't compare it to the winter stockings in the western (or even middle) parts of the state.
Yes, several streams flow into the lake. I would wonder how many springs are present for the trout to survive. Each spring the Hiwassee Chapter of TU held a kid's fishing derby at the regional park east of Athens. It was held in early April when water temps were favorable. After the derby, it was required to have a trout stamp, adding to the TWRA revenue. Most of the trout were caught later. However, one rainbow was caught in August, four months after the stocking. It was due to the many springs that feed the lake. This trout found one and survived until caught.

Latest posts

Back