• Help Support TNDeer:

Sometimes It’s Just Meant To Be

bowhunterfanatic

This evening was one of those evenings that proves sometimes it really is just meant to be. I tried all weekend to find someone to cover a couple hours for me at work in the afternoon Tues, Wed, and / or Thurs to no avail. I'm a firm believer in the moon guide during early season and it lined up perfect for afternoon hunting tonight and tomorrow night. Combine that with a bit of a cool front and I thought there was at least a chance of seeing a decent buck and a near guarantee at getting a shot at a doe. Told my wife this afternoon I was going to try and hunt the last hour of the evening after work since I wouldn't be on kid duty. Decided I'd close the store 5-10 minutes early and try to be in the tree by 5:45 in hopes I'd beat the deer to the field. Of course my phone rang at 5:22 with someone calling asking what time we closed. Told her 5:30 and she said I can make it by then so I waited on her to show up before I left. I hopped in the truck and flew to my mom's house already mad about being a few minutes behind knowing I probably wasn't gonna get to my tree fast enough. Sure enough before I could even get out of the truck once I parked my phone buzzed and sent me a picture of a deer in the field.

1728448212217.webp

After a little debate I just said the heck with it and went on to my tree and spooked her off. I noticed while walking in that as I suspected army worms had destroyed the wheat and oats in my little plot and the only things left were a few winter peas and a few brassicas. I figured maybe if I was lucky another another doe would show herself before dark. About 6:40 I heard what I thought was a deer in the hedge row with me up towards my mom's house. I thought it was odd because I almost never see deer come from that direction but I turned around in the stand looking for the noise. It didn't take long to spot her as she came hopping right under my tree apparently a little spooked by something. She never stopped where I could get a clear shot so I just watched her ease on off. I turned back around in the stand and instantly spotted a deer standing right in the corner of the field. Almost immediately I realized two things. A) it was a buck. B) it was staring straight up in the tree at me. I then realized it was most likely the only good buck I've had a picture of in the area all summer, but I couldn't see his rack well enough to be sure.

1728448378095.webp

I quickly made the decision to try and shoot it and that my best bet was to just try and grab my bow and get drawn with him staring at me vs freezing and hoping he'd eventually decide I was nothing of concern. I got drawn and went through my shot routine and tried my absolute hardest to not rush the shot and not hit the trigger until I was settled. I never had a chance to range him but remember thinking I'd shot the opposite side of the field in the past and it was just a hair over 30 yards. I intentionally put my 30 yard pin at the bottom of his belly thinking he'd duck a good bit and let it fly. I couldn't really see my arrow in flight but I heard it hit him and thought it sounded like a solid hit. It didn't take long for him to confirm my suspicion as I heard him crash not very far away. I took a few seconds to catch my breath then take in what had just happened. I called my brother and told him I was pretty sure I'd just shot the 8 and that I hated he wasn't home to help me go retrieve it. The shot was a lot more forward than I'd intended but it completely wrecked his heart. Really fortunate I didn't hit him another inch or two forward or he'd still be alive and well. Still can't believe it all came together in the manner that it did.

1728449643834.webp

I'm about 99% sure I know this deer from last year. If I'm correct then he's 4.5 this year. Think he's the deer on the left. Unfortunately we passed the one on the right all year last year and he hasn't shown back up this year.

1728450519261.webp

Now it's time to move some cameras around to try and find another one!

Last edited:
Excellent write up! Way to stay with it and win big! You had so many little things that you could have used as an excuse, but you persevered and it paid off!

Latest posts

Back