• Help Support TNDeer:

Patched round ball or saboted?

I have an old knight inline and I have only ever fired saboted bullets out of it. What are y'alls thoughts on patched round balls?
I think that the twist rate would be the consideration. If the rifling was 1 in 38 or slower you would have a good chance of shooting PRBs accurately. I still shoot traditional side hammer guns at modest ranges and have been well pleased with PRBs

Never lost one that I hit in the vitals with a patched round ball. The ones that I lost were from bad choices on when to take the shot. Killed a bunch with round balls.They are my preferred method for killing deer. 58 caliber generally doesn't stop until it's in the dirt or a tree on the other side. Use whatever you choose. But practice makes perfect.

Killed my first muzzle loader deer with a patched round ball 45 cal. Seen a lot of deer killed with them years ago and I never felt under gunned. I would not suggest stacking 2 balls in a muzzle loader, having done it the recoil is so bad I dropped the rifle onto the bench. If you can't hit or kill them with 1 ball wait on rifle season.

My latest roundball casualty….

06772F32-A0D4-4DD1-B5F2-689D72494D12.webp

.626 Whompability 👍

He barely wiggled….😎

I have an old knight inline and I have only ever fired saboted bullets out of it. What are y'alls thoughts on patched round balls?
We have used PRB for years for elk, deer, antelope, bear, etc. Never lost one and never had to track very far. Farthest one was no more than 20-30 yds. Longest shot was an elk I took at 147 yds. Dropped it where it was. This year took a deer at approximately 130 yds. and it just dropped. The elk was shot with .50 cal., then Colorado changed to .54 cal. for PRB for elk, so that is what we use these days. A PRB in an inline probably won't work as well as a saboted bullet, as the twist rate is so much different than a traditional ML.

Latest posts

Back