• Help Support TNDeer:

Patched round ball or saboted?

I have an old knight inline and I have only ever fired saboted bullets out of it. What are y'alls thoughts on patched round balls?
I think that the twist rate would be the consideration. If the rifling was 1 in 38 or slower you would have a good chance of shooting PRBs accurately. I still shoot traditional side hammer guns at modest ranges and have been well pleased with PRBs

Never lost one that I hit in the vitals with a patched round ball. The ones that I lost were from bad choices on when to take the shot. Killed a bunch with round balls.They are my preferred method for killing deer. 58 caliber generally doesn't stop until it's in the dirt or a tree on the other side. Use whatever you choose. But practice makes perfect.

Killed my first muzzle loader deer with a patched round ball 45 cal. Seen a lot of deer killed with them years ago and I never felt under gunned. I would not suggest stacking 2 balls in a muzzle loader, having done it the recoil is so bad I dropped the rifle onto the bench. If you can't hit or kill them with 1 ball wait on rifle season.

My latest roundball casualty….

06772F32-A0D4-4DD1-B5F2-689D72494D12.webp

.626 Whompability 👍

He barely wiggled….😎

Latest posts

Back