• Help Support TNDeer:

Pheasant

Ladys man

So one of my wife's clients brought her about 10 birds. What's the best way to cook these?
Neither of us has cooked them, she has eaten once when she was young and I can't remember if I have.
I want to grill/smoke.
She wants to crockpot.

Any advise is awesome.

So one of my wife's clients brought her about 10 birds. What's the best way to cook these?
Neither of us has cooked them, she has eaten once when she was young and I can't remember if I have.
I want to grill/smoke.
She wants to crockpot.

Any advise is awesome.

Can't help with a recipe, but this reminded me of one of the ladies at the facility I used to work at. Every time I would bring her meal to her, she would say "what are we having tonight, pheasant under glass?" After the first few times and figuring out she liked to kid around i would respond with "Nope. Possum under foil!" She would just cackle and laugh like it was the funniest thing ever lol.

BT

Crockpot. Add a little chicken broth/stock for moisture. Season with sage based poultry seasoning. Pulll off bones when cooked tender. Serve with cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole. Enjoy!

If I was going to grill or smoke brine them, very little fat and the meat can be dry and jerky lol. cooked like chicken and dumplings is pretty good, not had any in many many years,

Cook in a pressure cooker. Pull all the meat off the carcass. Make a Pheasant casserole.
We did similar....had several pheasant donated for our mens wild game dinner last year...we slow cooked them in chicken broth on stove top until meat fell off bone and then we made several casseroles using a standard chicken casserole recipe.

Tough, dry birds always benefit from a brine period of at least 24 hours. I always calculate a wet brine based on the weight of meat + weight of water, then multiply that by 0.02 to get a salt content. If you're going to dry brine, just use 2% of the bird's weight. I like to use 1.5% brown sugar too. It doesn't sweeten anything, but is a critical brining component.

And as for recipes, anything Hank Shaw does would be worth trying. He does a good job talking about ditch chickens.

Back