• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Plant or Wait

I would assume within reason, I doubt it would fair very well if planted anytime past mid November

Grows best in 40*-70* and our winters generally fall into that window for daytime temps, minus the occasional cold front.

This year I'm going to try something new. I'm going to broadcast rye and probably a little crimson all fall & winter long until spring green up. Deer seem to prefer it best when it's young sprouts anyway so that'll keep a steady supply of it. I'm not looking to grow a commercial crop. I'm only planting for deer. I don't think I'll mow or spray in spring, either. Going to allow at least one plot go just to see what happens. If it gets crazy then I'll kill it but as long as it somewhat self manages then I'll leave it be. In my mind I imagine a waist high plot with varying stages of growth that provide both cover and food. But more than likely reality will slap me with uncontrollable weeds that'll need chemical and bush hogging.

Grows best in 40*-70* and our winters generally fall into that window for daytime temps, minus the occasional cold front.

This year I'm going to try something new. I'm going to broadcast rye and probably a little crimson all fall & winter long until spring green up. Deer seem to prefer it best when it's young sprouts anyway so that'll keep a steady supply of it. I'm not looking to grow a commercial crop. I'm only planting for deer. I don't think I'll mow or spray in spring, either. Going to allow at least one plot go just to see what happens. If it gets crazy then I'll kill it but as long as it somewhat self manages then I'll leave it be. In my mind I imagine a waist high plot with varying stages of growth that provide both cover and food. But more than likely reality will slap me with uncontrollable weeds that'll need chemical and bush hogging.
Jeff Sturgis with Whitetail Habitat Solutions talks about a "layering" system using 100 to 200lb cereal rye per acre....then few weeks later another 100lb per acre then even more as needed...with the goal, as you mention , not being vertical growth or production but more so horizontal thickness on tbe ground...thick green plots through winter into spring using the spray and sow method being the ultimate goal.

1/2" in rain gage at house...would love to have gotten more but not complaining...we needed it badly....at main property north of here, per radar, we may have gotten more.
Went with the spray and sow method last Saturday.
So hoping the dead thatch lays down with todays rain and holds some of the moisture in the ground.
Woke up this morning to patio soaking wet and radar is showing little more to come....hadnt checked rain gage this morning....glad were getting it in waves and not all at once....light rain now.

Not a drop at my place in Humphreys. Some new cells are popping up to the west and northwest as of 4:00 PM, don't know if they make it my place.
Looks like your place should have gotten rain last night and little more this morning....not sure how much? But its raining.

Looks like your place should have gotten rain last night and little more this morning....not sure how much? But its raining.
0.83"! Praise the Lord!

I'm headed out this morning to mow whatever growth I can down onto the wet ground. Hoping the thatch will hold moisture in the soil. Plus, tractor tires should act as a cultipacker for seed on top the ground.

Last edited:
Jeff Sturgis with Whitetail Habitat Solutions talks about a "layering" system using 100 to 200lb cereal rye per acre....then few weeks later another 100lb per acre then even more as needed...with the goal, as you mention , not being vertical growth or production but more so horizontal thickness on tbe ground...thick green plots through winter into spring using the spray and sow method being the ultimate goal.

I'm gona try it. I've got three plots within a 1/4mi. I'll pick one and seed it sporadically all winter long and then not kill or mow it like I normally do in early summer. In August I'll decide whether to continue with the experiment or if it failed. By then I will have been able to compare it with the other two and know if the deer prefer any one over the other.

I'm gona try it. I've got three plots within a 1/4mi. I'll pick one and seed it sporadically all winter long and then not kill or mow it like I normally do in early summer. In August I'll decide whether to continue with the experiment or if it failed. By then I will have been able to compare it with the other two and know if the deer prefer any one over the other.
I enjoy experimenting with different methods. This year on one of our plots I took a zero turn mower and chopped the thatch real fine for the throw and mow method. Normally we sow and spray and just let the thatch lay down naturally...or of its real tall we'll bush hog dead vegatation over the seed....but using the zero turn the plot was smooth and clean looking and the thatch was finely chopped covering the seed nice....now this rain....so we'll see how the fine chopped thatch over the seed does verses letting the dead vegetation lay down naturally.

We got some, but not a lot. Still waiting on totals, but should be enough to get our ladino and wheat sprouting that we over seeded in our clover plots. Really hoping the weather patterns shift some now
Between yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning we ended up with one inch in rain gage.

Attachments

• 20230929_074333.jpg
    20230929_074333.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 28
Back