• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots Plant or Wait

Per our club management program, we shoot 4+ year olds. I'd say that of the 12-16 bucks we kill in an average year that 60-70% are killed off plots. I've got the data, just need to look & refresh my memory of exact number.
I have never killed one off one either- but i had a droptine 5.5 yr old in one for an hours opening morning from 7 to 8, while i fished (or destroyed my lower unit trying

Attachments

• IMG_7150.png
    IMG_7150.png
    352.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7151.png
    IMG_7151.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 71
Plot has been planted nearly two weeks. It got a good rain the night planted and one small shower after. Had a pretty decent rain yesterday morning and early this morning. Got fertilizer spread and then been raining now for close to two hours. There's several bare spots when looking from a distance but most have little sprouts growing so this rain should definitely help.

FD3A0826-1C2B-4E5D-B03F-D39CBBF12A20.jpeg

Last edited:
Same here. In 24 years, as far as my memory serves, only one mature buck has been killed out of a field….and that was during the velvet hunt. I have a few daylight pics of mature bucks in fields during daylight, but very few.

During the rut they will come out but maybe only once...

I am seeing rain chances 40-50% this morning in Brentwood tonight and tomorrow and only a slight chance of a stray storm a little west in Hickman county....

Well surprisingly the weatherman was about spot on... Nothing in Hickman..

Not a drop at my place in Humphreys. Some new cells are popping up to the west and northwest as of 4:00 PM, don't know if they make it my place.

Amen! Northern Dickson getting it too! Finally....sowed 7½ acres of plots last Saturday...needed this ground soaker bad.
1/2" in rain gage at house...would love to have gotten more but not complaining...we needed it badly....at main property north of here, per radar, we may have gotten more.
Went with the spray and sow method last Saturday.
So hoping the dead thatch lays down with todays rain and holds some of the moisture in the ground.

Is there enough of considerable difference in the germination rates of wheat vs rye in the cold ? I have always read rye germinates and grows better in colder temps than wheat so would that be a big enough difference to only plant rye as my cereal when we get some rain in Oct ? We drilled in all our plots about 3 weeks ago and the strictly no Till plots have not been disced in a few years are doing considerably better than the plots I had disced this Year which is to be expected but some plots we disced will need to be replanted if we can ever get any rain.

Is there enough of considerable difference in the germination rates of wheat vs rye in the cold ?
I don't think so in our part of country unless we get a freak long term cold weather event. In MI, MN, WI, Dakotas it probably does, but they sure grow a heck of a lot of wheat in KS too. Biggest advantage to rye imo is that it'll grow in low ph crappy soil where wheat struggles.

Latest posts

Back