• Help Support TNDeer:

Poll on deer hunting activity

I know one guy who kills bigger deer than everyone in my county. He has an 80 acre lease. Is he a great deer hunter? Personally id call him average but he spends most all of m/l and rifle season hunting. I asked him one day why he thought he killed so many big bucks. He said "i dont shoot them when they are young". True that!

big bucks are taken every year by novice hunters.....it's just the law of averages, I guess.

I showed , without doubt, that time in the stand is pretty crucial to success in taking larger deer.....anyone that does not hunt all day during the chase and rut phases is not a seriuos deer hunter...imo. The second rut can be just as productive...Midday can be great...!

Unless deer are in feed mode and they are prefrring one certain food source, random sightings are the norm. if they are feeding heavily and not disturbed, you can set a watch by them....even mature deer, so it takes very little effort and skill to kill them...imo.

Killing mature deer in chase mode and during the rut is more luck than most other times....Deer may leave an area completely or simply move so randomly that patterning them is impossible....

At this time, you may only get one chance at a certain buck. If you are not in the stand , then you will not succeed...pretty simple, huh?

I prefer to leave certain areas ALONE until the rut starts.....or at least , until they start chasing abit. I like to keep an area CLEAN until then.....I have seen bucks trying to corral does and push them toward areas they prefer to be. This tells me that bucks know where they are less likely to be disturbed by man and these are the places they want to herd the doe to....If you stay out of certain thickets, deer will gravitate to them when the time is right...Set up a satnd well before the season and stay out of that area until the chasing begins, then sneak in there early and stay all day...I rarely hunt pre-rut, rut and post rut in the same places.

good luck..

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
smstone22 said:
60% for two or less. This is trending more conservatively every year here on TNdeer as well as "off the net". I think we could agree on that.
yep
Another way to interpret these votes is most hunters are already killing 2 or less bucks each year any way (by choice, not by mandate). If they were not, they surely would not vote for a more conservative buck limit and you would not hear about this more conservative approach amongst your circle of friends/hunters. Think about it.

I really have no need to kill more than 1 or 2 bucks each season....sometimes none.

If I want meat, I kill does. If I want a mount, I wait on something worth mounting, imo.

I would like to see a day when I go deering hunting and consistently see more bucks than does....Sure, somedays I go hunting and only see a couple of bucks and no does, but on average, throughout the season, my doe sightings well outnumber the buck sightings. Does, other than their their ATTRACTING ability , are useless to me and somewhat annoying, most times.

When that day comes, I believe that I will bring home the biggest buck of my career...

enjoy

Back