• Help Support TNDeer:

Pond Help

WTM":19d9xs9s said:
hopefully he told you to harvest those bass each and every year and in fertilized ponds rule of thumb is about 30 or so pounds per acre after the first 3 years.
i can't remember the number, but I know I remember thinking "there is no way i can catch that many fish without dynamite or electricity" :P

bowhunterfanatic":19d9xs9s said:
I really think lime and fertilize is probably the biggest thing holding us back, but I can't swear to that.
i can't swear to it, but i think the biologist told us, that if we "did" fertilize/lime, and got the lake "right", we would need to continue to do fertilize/lime it...

its been several years since we had him out there.. the only thing we did was try to catch every bass we could and toss on the bank..

bowhunterfanatic":1ueokd5o said:
gtk":1ueokd5o said:
We are in somewhat the same boat.. 13 acre lake that is about 15 years old. Stocked with bass, cats, read-ear, bluegill .. The first several years were good, and we caught big bluegill, nice cats, and decent bass. Then it all went downhill, and now most bass are small, bluegill are small, and cats have been about caught out.

This time of year, we can catch big bass, but then they just disappear about May.. We can catch a boatfull of 6" - 12" bass, and we keep ever single one of them.. We never catch any real good bream anymore either.. They are all just "bait stealers".

We had a biologist come out, and he did a shock sample.. Said we need to catch, i think he said 9 llbs an acre, of bass each year, then fertilize and lime the lake.

I really think lime and fertilize is probably the biggest thing holding us back, but I can't swear to that.
If its close to owlcreek the river otters may be visiting it. They cleaned out one pond closed to there.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

huntintn":19rshapc said:
bowhunterfanatic":19rshapc said:
gtk":19rshapc said:
We are in somewhat the same boat.. 13 acre lake that is about 15 years old. Stocked with bass, cats, read-ear, bluegill .. The first several years were good, and we caught big bluegill, nice cats, and decent bass. Then it all went downhill, and now most bass are small, bluegill are small, and cats have been about caught out.

This time of year, we can catch big bass, but then they just disappear about May.. We can catch a boatfull of 6" - 12" bass, and we keep ever single one of them.. We never catch any real good bream anymore either.. They are all just "bait stealers".

We had a biologist come out, and he did a shock sample.. Said we need to catch, i think he said 9 llbs an acre, of bass each year, then fertilize and lime the lake.

If its close to owlcreek the river otters may be visiting it. They cleaned out one pond closed to there.

That's part of the problem too probably. I actually saw one in the pond in my mom's front yard three weeks ago. Upon inspection it appears he wiped our catfish population out pretty quickly. I'm sure he came up from the creek or gravel pit and wasn't the only one in the area.

bowhunterfanatic":38z5ykcq said:
huntintn":38z5ykcq said:
bowhunterfanatic":38z5ykcq said:
gtk said:

That's part of the problem too probably. I actually saw one in the pond in my mom's front yard three weeks ago. Upon inspection it appears he wiped our catfish population out pretty quickly. I'm sure he came up from the creek or gravel pit and wasn't the only one in the area.
Creek is loaded with them. Bob Gray had his pit pond stocked 3 years ago and the size of bass we catch there has improved. We strictly catch and release it.

Latest posts

Back