• Help Support TNDeer:

Potential new Kentucky Lake Crappie Regulations

The crappie or still there i fish OH and KY lakes and do great the WEATHER plays a big factor on them .
The last few years on OH lake we caught them in early March.

TWRA OFFICIALS TO ATTEND MEETING IN
REGARD TO KENTUCKY LAKE CRAPPIE FISHERY
NASHVILLE --- Officials from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency are among those who will be attending a public meeting regarding the crappie fishery on Kentucky Lake.
The meeting, requested by State Representative Tim Wirgau, will be held on Tuesday, June 14 from 7-8:30 p.m. in the Enoch Building at the Henry County Fairgrounds in Paris. TWRA fisheries personnel will attend to share information and listen to anglers. All interested persons are invited to attend.

When they reduced our crappie creel limit (on Chickamauga and most other East TN lakes) from 30 to 15 (effective March 1, 2007), I was perturbed. I didn't like it.

TWRA Biologists in our area told me they hoped the limit reduction would level out the "boon & bust" years crappie often cycle through. They made it clear it would not result in more crappie... they said it would simply better disperse the catch among more anglers, and/or allow more mature fish to spawn. Again, not to create more crappie, simply to provide better numbers of each year class of fish to move through the population.

From my experience in the last nine years, they were spot on. Our crappie fishing on Chickamauga Lake has been good to excellent. This past Spring was one of the best I've ever experienced. I conducted 16 guide trips in the month of March, during which we boated 525 keeper crappie (10" or above). During those trips we probably caught 1,000 (maybe 2,000) "short" crappie which will replenish the "keeper" stock next year. Believe me, there are days that it is very frustrating when we have to reel in six short fish for every single keeper. But my frustration is tempered, knowing I'll get to catch & keep those fish next year, or maybe even in the Fall.

One reason I was perturbed that they reduced our limit in 2007 was that they didn't do the same across the entire state. I had a hard time accepting that the biology was that much different on the various reservoirs.

I believed, and still believe, that the crappie creel limits in Middle and West Tennessee were not reduced, at least in part, due to the anticipated political pressure that would come to bear on the Agency.

I am not at all surprised by what is occurring on Kentucky Lake right now... biologically or socially. Now I give credit to TWRA folks for having the foresight to do what needed to be done to best manage crappie in East Tennessee. I think they were "slow on the draw" in West Tennessee because they didn't want to deal with the political flack they knew would come their way.

But now it appears that the "biology" of the situation has grown serious enough that (some) fishermen are finally forcing the Agency's hand. IMHO, the rest of you should just suck it up, encourage them to reduce your creel limits and hopefully enjoy more stable crappie fishing in the years to come.

In the words of Ruger, "That is all. Drive through." :D

rsimms":1sbj0qnc said:
When they reduced our crappie creel limit (on Chickamauga and most other East TN lakes) from 30 to 15 (effective March 1, 2007), I was perturbed. I didn't like it.

TWRA Biologists in our area told me they hoped the limit reduction would level out the "boon & bust" years crappie often cycle through. They made it clear it would not result in more crappie... they said it would simply better disperse the catch among more anglers, and/or allow more mature fish to spawn. Again, not to create more crappie, simply to provide better numbers of each year class of fish to move through the population.

From my experience in the last nine years, they were spot on. Our crappie fishing on Chickamauga Lake has been good to excellent. This past Spring was one of the best I've ever experienced. I conducted 16 guide trips in the month of March, during which we boated 525 keeper crappie (10" or above). During those trips we probably caught 1,000 (maybe 2,000) "short" crappie which will replenish the "keeper" stock next year. Believe me, there are days that it is very frustrating when we have to reel in six short fish for every single keeper. But my frustration is tempered, knowing I'll get to catch & keep those fish next year, or maybe even in the Fall.

One reason I was perturbed that they reduced our limit in 2007 was that they didn't do the same across the entire state. I had a hard time accepting that the biology was that much different on the various reservoirs.

I believed, and still believe, that the crappie creel limits in Middle and West Tennessee were not reduced, at least in part, due to the anticipated political pressure that would come to bear on the Agency.

I am not at all surprised by what is occurring on Kentucky Lake right now... biologically or socially. Now I give credit to TWRA folks for having the foresight to do what needed to be done to best manage crappie in East Tennessee. I think they were "slow on the draw" in West Tennessee because they didn't want to deal with the political flack they knew would come their way.

But now it appears that the "biology" of the situation has grown serious enough that (some) fishermen are finally forcing the Agency's hand. IMHO, the rest of you should just suck it up, encourage them to reduce your creel limits and hopefully enjoy more stable crappie fishing in the years to come.

i totally agree. this is not the first time they have had these meetings as they basically have had them for the last few years with the same outcome. the biologists make their case and its always the same, low spawn years due to water levels and weather. then the TWRA gives the creel inspection results. then you have those that make a case against the spider riggers and trollers "seigning" the lake. then they ask for a show of hands who thinks that some changes need to be made and practically everyone in the room raises their hand.

i grew up on ky lake and talk to a lot of fisherman and everyone i talk to, even the spider riggers, want some type of creel limit reduction. even the well known guides think so, and they make their living guiding. BUT, it never happens.

so my question is, if it is political then who? or is it basically the biologists or the commission unwilling to make the change? or does it have more to do with political power in order to get the limits changed? looks like to me that local guides and businesses would want a change, due to the fact, of what Rsimms explained, more consistent keeper catches from year to year and it would seem that combined they would have enough political influence to get it done.

something has to change because Birdsong used to be loaded with keeper crappie, now you will be lucky to catch 20 non keepers in a week. i had one guy told me that he fished everyday this year and barely caught fish and he said the spider riggers in early spring fished 4 days and barely caught a limit.

The bass fishing is also not as good as it once was. This year has been extremely tough for a lot of fisherman on KY Lake. I wish they would make tournaments obey a 3 bass limit during tournaments on the lake, especially during the hot summer months when bass are easily stressed. The Triton Owners Tournament did that this year, because last year a lot of bass died in the tournament. I think most fisherman supported the 3 bass limit in the tournament. Hopefully this way of thinking can spread to other tournaments as well.

ClubHead":2nbsks3m said:
I have crappie fished the lake since the late 70's and it's the worst I've seen it.Ive been in on 100 plus fish over 12 inch with no limits back then.Its bad now and the biologist won't listen unless we speak up!!

We've fished it every spring for 12 years or so. This past spring was the worst by far.

WTM":3tjwrons said:
rsimms":3tjwrons said:

i totally agree. this is not the first time they have had these meetings as they basically have had them for the last few years with the same outcome. the biologists make their case and its always the same, low spawn years due to water levels and weather. then the TWRA gives the creel inspection results. then you have those that make a case against the spider riggers and trollers "seigning" the lake. then they ask for a show of hands who thinks that some changes need to be made and practically everyone in the room raises their hand.

i grew up on ky lake and talk to a lot of fisherman and everyone i talk to, even the spider riggers, want some type of creel limit reduction. even the well known guides think so, and they make their living guiding. BUT, it never happens.

so my question is, if it is political then who? or is it basically the biologists or the commission unwilling to make the change? or does it have more to do with political power in order to get the limits changed? looks like to me that local guides and businesses would want a change, due to the fact, of what Rsimms explained, more consistent keeper catches from year to year and it would seem that combined they would have enough political influence to get it done.

something has to change because Birdsong used to be loaded with keeper crappie, now you will be lucky to catch 20 non keepers in a week. i had one guy told me that he fished everyday this year and barely caught fish and he said the spider riggers in early spring fished 4 days and barely caught a limit.
That's weird,everyone I talk to are catching tons of small crappie.The biologist even said there were plenty of no keepers in there trap netting and shocking data

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Land Between the Lakes":1tiryl3a said:
Has there been anymore news on this subject?
Haven't heard anything,one guy told me some of the twra people were talking outside after the meeting and all he herd wad pole limit,lol.Any real crappie fisherman that is serious knows a single poler can fish 100 beds easy in a day,while a spiderriggers maybe 40-50 when I spiderrig.Im starting to single pole because of this,more structure you can fish the more chances for fish in the boat[emoji2]

Land Between the Lakes":12ycxxmh said:
Has there been any updates on this story?
TWRA just today/Friday 9-16-16 concluded their September meeting held at Pickwick State Park. A news release has been sent and I have copied and pasted below something that relates to crappie fishing on Ky Lake. The final vote on this recommendation will be taken at next month's October meeting. I think most Ky Lake crappie fishermen will be okay with this change in the creel limit as most want to see changes they hope will have a positive effect on crappie fishing success.

"The agency presented information on the crappie fishery at Kentucky Lake. The TFWC requested that the TWRA consider lowering the creel limit from 30 to 20 fish per day".

I think a drop from creel limit of 30 down to 20 is pretty wimpy. I really don't understand why they didn't go ahead and make the crappie creel limit more consistent across the state... recommend a drop to 15 (as in is in East Tennessee).

I admittedly complained at first, but it didn't take me long to come around and be in great support. Our crappie fishing (on Chickamauga Lake) has been awesome. This spring season was absolutely the best I've ever experienced.

Of course I'm a guide. In March I conducted 16 crappie guide trips. During those 16 trips we collectively boated 525 legal crappie. That's 35 15-fish limits, if you're counting. Probably three times that many short fish.

I'm not saying our great fishing has been due solely to 15-fish creel limit, but virtually everyone around here is in agreement that it's been a good thing. The biologists here say it doesn't really affect overall population numbers... the lower limit better distributes the catch among more anglers, and it helps "level out" those boon & bust spawning years.

Bite the bullet... tell 'em to drop your limit to 15.

rsimms":ssgf50p4 said:
I think a drop from creel limit of 30 down to 20 is pretty wimpy. I really don't understand why they didn't go ahead and make the crappie creel limit more consistent across the state... recommend a drop to 15 (as in is in East Tennessee).

I admittedly complained at first, but it didn't take me long to come around and be in great support. Our crappie fishing (on Chickamauga Lake) has been awesome. This spring season was absolutely the best I've ever experienced.

Of course I'm a guide. In March I conducted 16 crappie guide trips. During those 16 trips we collectively boated 525 legal crappie. That's 35 15-fish limits, if you're counting. Probably three times that many short fish.

I'm not saying our great fishing has been due solely to 15-fish creel limit, but virtually everyone around here is in agreement that it's been a good thing. The biologists here say it doesn't really affect overall population numbers... the lower limit better distributes the catch among more anglers, and it helps "level out" those boon & bust spawning years.

20 ain't gonna help,why would 15 help.At k6 lake it's bad spawn years when keeper fish numbers are down.The biologist presented the facts and the future looks good.I think the biologist should recommend what needs to be done,they have a better idea than us.The only reason they changed it to 20 is because the majority of the people at the meeting wanted change,majority rules these days.If you remember the 80's here on Ky lake there wasn't a limit and you could keep all you wanted and you still had good and bad years.

blueball":su1wx2o7 said:
rsimms":su1wx2o7 said:

20 ain't gonna help,why would 15 help.At k6 lake it's bad spawn years when keeper fish numbers are down.The biologist presented the facts and the future looks good.I think the biologist should recommend what needs to be done,they have a better idea than us.The only reason they changed it to 20 is because the majority of the people at the meeting wanted change,majority rules these days.If you remember the 80's here on Ky lake there wasn't a limit and you could keep all you wanted and you still had good and bad years.

Can't argue 20 vs 15, except to create more consistent regs across the state. Fishing regs are already horribly confusing. Seems like an opportunity to make them at least slightly less confusing.

rsimms":16150y43 said:
Fishing regs are already horribly confusing. Seems like an opportunity to make them at least slightly less confusing.
Ain't that the truth!
I have no doubt that many opportunities for a quick fishing trip (especially among novices) simply doesn't happen because of the complicated regulations that are so different from one body of water to the next. Not saying the regs themselves are necessarily bad, but such complication may be preventing many kids and novices from becoming more interested in the sport.

blueball":16150y43 said:
I think the biologist should recommend what needs to be done, they have a better idea than us.
I may be mistaken, but I think Rsimms is one of those biologists, albeit perhaps a "retired" one. :D
Or was that just a "tired" one?

For sure, Rsimms once wore the TWRA uniform and never missed a commission meeting.
I'd consider him one of Tennessee's foremost experts on our Tennessee fisheries.

TheLBLman":384puiyl said:
For sure, Rsimms once wore the TWRA uniform and never missed a commission meeting.
I'd consider him one of Tennessee's foremost experts on our Tennessee fisheries.

Of that, there is no doubt.

Latest posts

Back